Extend the range of an RC car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zedman3d

Fully Optimized
Anyone help me out? What would i need to do to turn a 6m range controller that operates a little cheap remote control car into one that goes like 200m or something rediculous. I think i would only need to boost the controler as i dont think the car transmits anything. They go off 27mhz as standard from memory with the option of 2 or three other freq's.

Any suggestions.
(Im off on a massive tangent today yes.)

Or just take some thicker copper wiring, and wrap it around the antenna of the controller so it extends out farther. Would also help to do it on the car too if you wanted. Would be much cheaper and easier than getting a new receiver, for short ranges that is.

There is nothing I know of that will (cheaply) extend the range that much from a cheap transmitter/receiver. Little modifications may gain you a little range, but nothing like what you are talking about. You would have to go with something more powerful and expensive

Or just take some thicker copper wiring, and wrap it around the antenna of the controller so it extends out farther. Would also help to do it on the car too if you wanted. Would be much cheaper and easier than getting a new receiver, for short ranges that is.

Bad idea.

RC Cars often have aerials tuned to specific lengths and thickness's for the receiver. It is advised you immediately stop using your RC car if the aerial is damaged or shortened in anyway.

People often beleive you can use any length of wire and any wire for the aerial, while this is i guess true, it can cause severe issues and lack of control.

Bad idea.

RC Cars often have aerials tuned to specific lengths and thickness's for the receiver. It is advised you immediately stop using your RC car if the aerial is damaged or shortened in anyway.

People often beleive you can use any length of wire and any wire for the aerial, while this is i guess true, it can cause severe issues and lack of control.

Always worked for me to get a little boost. Although these were on cheap RC cars when I was a kid, and not the better, hobby RC cars.

Ah. Well it might be worth the risk on the cheeper cars :p I personally havn't had a problem. But was at the local RC club and saw someone RC truck go horribley glitchy because he made his own aerial.

I was honestly thinking about something ive wanted to do since i was like 8, which is buy a $30 RC car, buy some sort of wireless camera (saw some on ebay for $40) and then drive it around the neighbourhood with myself in my lounge. Silly idea but i was just wondering if the extending range thing would have worked.... Turns out to be a big hassle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom