explain u me an mp3

Status
Not open for further replies.

winblowz

In Runtime
ok. heres what I know ( i think )

Data can be stored IN an mp3 file ( copy protection etc)

i think data is stored on "tabs?"

can SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN TEH CONCEPT OF DATA IN AN MP3?

THANKS

Al

Here's the definition, it's really only audio files that are compressed in different ways to achive small file size:
MP3 - Moving Picture Experts Group Layer-3 Audio (audio file format/extension)
MP3 ( P ) Pronunciation Key (mp-thr)
n.

1. An MPEG standard used especially for digitally transmitting music over the Internet.
2. A file containing a song or other audio data that is encoded using this standard: The band released its latest single as an MP3 on the Internet.

hope this helps somewhat...

and what mpeg means........
MPEG ( P ) Pronunciation Key (mpg)
n.

1. Any of a set of standards established for the compression of digital video and audio data.
2. A file of digital video and audio data that has been so compressed: downloaded an MPEG of the new video from the Internet.

MP3 Compression Standards;Encoding

"We need an existing PCM audio stream to begin making an MP3 audio stream. We should think of MP3 as the removal of irrelevant data and not as a method of digital recording in the true sense of the word. When we begin to encode the audio stream we find that it usually consists of a 16-bit sample and the sampling frequencies in the range of 32kHz, 44.1kHz and 48kHz."

MPEG Audio Layer-3

"History
In 1987, the Fraunhofer IIS started to work on perceptual audio coding in the framework of the EUREKA project EU147, Digital Audio Broadcasting (DAB). In a joint cooperation with the University of Erlangen (Prof. Dieter Seitzer), the Fraunhofer IIS finally devised a very powerful algorithm that is standardized as ISO-MPEG Audio Layer-3 (IS 11172-3 and IS 13818-3).

Without data reduction, digital audio signals typically consist of 16 bit samples recorded at a sampling rate more than twice the actual audio bandwidth (e.g. 44.1 kHz for Compact Discs). So you end up with more than 1.400 Mbit to represent just one second of stereo music in CD quality. By using MPEG audio coding, you may shrink down the original sound data from a CD by a factor of 12, without losing sound quality. Factors of 24 and even more still maintain a sound quality that is significantly better than what you get by just reducing the sampling rate and the resolution of your samples. Basically, this is realized by perceptual coding techniques addressing the perception of sound waves by the human ear."

you guys are giving him the dictionary definition of what MP3 is. i think what he wanted was to know how the copy protection and ID3v1 and ID3v2 tags are stored on an MP3 file.

winblowz i think all you need to know is to use an MP3 player/ editor like winamp. they can edit this data for you. there are 2 ways to edit the ID3: using CBBD to compare your MP3 to its own database and automatically fill in the ID3 with a known match OR the user must edit the info manually. note CBBD is sometimes free and it is not JUST for looking up info from audio CD's but MP3 also

ekÆsine said:
you guys are giving him the dictionary definition of what MP3 is. i think what he wanted was to know how the copy protection and ID3v1 and ID3v2 tags are stored on an MP3 file.

my links describe how an mp3 is constructed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom