Everyone that sells stuff on Craigslist and Ebay

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOtis

Daemon Poster
I'm sure a lot of you know this, but I'm sure their are those of you that don't. Be VERY carefull with who you talk to that want's to buy something from you. Their are a TON of people that try and scam you nowadays.

Here's an example of an E-mail I received recently about an ad I posted on CL for my Chevy, (Which I sold 5 hours after I posted it on there! Go me!)

"Sender: Steve Flagman <den_richard21@yahoo.com>
Subject: 1981 Chevy C10 Stepside, 350ci,TH350,Flowmaster, + More - $3000
To: AustinKra@yahoo.com

Dear Seller,
My name is Steve flagman,I reside in Canada, I came across your advert on craigslist: san francisco bay area classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events, and am interested in buying your item,which you offer for sale.Due to the fact that i have be looking for it to buy,Please i want Kindly get back to me as soon as possible with the following aswers to my questions,
1. Are you the real owner? 2. The present condition?
3.And your final asking price?
Furthermore I will like you to know that my form of payment is through a Money Order drawn from a US bank,so if you still have it for sale and you are okay with my method payment,i will want you to get back to asap.so that we can proceed further and complete transaction on time.
N.B: Please I want you to get back to me with your> final asking price..
Thanks
Steve flagman.. "

As you can see right off the bat, the E-mail address has a different name then what he says. This guy doesn't even live near me, he lives in Canada! I was pretty descriptive in the add and he asks waht the present condition is, and asks what the final asking price is, when we haven't even spoken about the truck, let alone spoken at all.

He wants to pay via Money Order, which is the way A LOT of people get scammed I hear.

Here's another attempted scam on me back in July when I through together some spare parts I had laying around and sold a computer-

"Hello Austin Krause,
Sorry for the delay,Well Everything sounds well and I guess that the { CPU, and Memory gaming combo } is in excellent condition and I am okay with the price $300 and I will be willing to offer you $350 for it. So, I would want you to keep all other buyer's off and also delete the advert from the website. Concerning payment my client will issue you a USPS Money Order, since I don't have the funds in your currency. For convenient and easy transaction, I have a liable shipping agent who'd be responsible for the Pick up as soon as you receive payment for the { CPU, and Memory gaming combo } .I will therefore need the following information of yours to forward my client before he sends the Money Order.
NAME IN FULL........
ADDRESS IN FULL....
CITY...
STATE...
COUNTRY..........
ZIPCODE.......
CELL/OFFICE/HOME PHONE NUMBER.
I await your urgent response.
Thanks!
Mr.Tony Miller.."

Pretty poort scam isn't it? Come on, can that guy make it any more obvious he's trying to scam me? I think that's just a BIT rediculous. He's trying to offer me $350 for something I'm selling for $300 when the parts in the computer were worth maybe $300 all together?

How sketchy can you really come off? You live out of the country, he wants to offer me a USPS money order, he conveniently has a shipping agent around here to pick it up from me, and he wants to send me the money ASAP, without asking ANY questions about it.

Now the other one I could find was from when I sold my older router on CL last July as well-

"Hello, greetings ...am contacting you regarding the item you posted online ... am very much interested, i would like to know its present condition and also its final price... I really wish to be there to check it out but i dont have chance cause am a very busy woman and am hearing impaired...pls get back to me as soon as possible with a recent pic of it, i really want to have a view of it ...if it pleases me, i would be making payment for it and i can contact my mover to come pick it up becuase we are in the process of relocating ...i will wait for the Pics ...Hope to hear from you soon, Thanks so much and have a wonderful time ..
Regards"

She asks NO questions at ALL about the router, she's moving, she's hearing impared, and she wants a recent pic of it? Because those 4 pictures I posted of the router weren't enough? Haha. She wants to have a mover come and pick it up?

On top of all that, that person can't even type!

"Thanks so much and have a wonderful time.."

"pls get back to me as soon as possible with a recent pic of it"

"I want to have a view of it"

"Hello, greetings ...am contacting you regarding the item you posted online ... am very much interested"

"i would like to know its present condition and also its final price"

"I really wish to be there to check it out but i dont have chance cause am a very busy woman and am hearing impaired"

That whole thing sounds fishy!!!!!!

My whole point in posting this is to tell you guys to be carefull when you're selling and buying stuff online. Watch out for ANY E-mail like this you come across that looks like any of these three I just posted. If they look like any of these, chances are it's a scam. Never give out your address, phone number, ANY of that information.

Yea, buyer beware!

is this thread in response to the paypal scamming thread?

Somewhat.

I was going to reply to that, but I thought this reply would be a bit too lengthy and not as many people would see it and read it if it was a reply to a thread. Just thought it may of been a good idea.

XD paypal and money order scam. What the heck's a safe way to pay for things then >.> wire transfer? the charge for that here is stupid. cost like 50$ just to transfer it.

only thing im scared off is someone not shipping it after i've paid XD

Basically use paypal. The buyer has all the protection when using paypal. Thats why the scammers always want you to use western union or some other wire transfer.

i just got this email from a certain "paypal@1paypal.com" , yes, thats 1paypal.com lolz:

Dear Customer Paypal ,

This e-mail has been sent to you by Paypal Forms to inform you that we were unable to process your most recent payment of bill.This might be due to either of the following reasons:

1. A recent change in your personal information. (eg: billing address, phone ,Credit card)
2. Submitting incorrect information during bill payment process.

Due to this, to ensure that your service is not interrupted, we request you to confirm and update your billing information today by clicking here.

If you have already confirmed your billing information then please disregard this message as we are processing the changes you have made.

Regards,
Paypal
Billing Department

Thanks for your co-operation.

the last order i had used paypal for was EA and that was for a Crysis preorder, which i had established with them over the beta had come through

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom