European Union fines Intel a record US$1.44 billion for monopoly abuse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Cyrix still kicking around?

[EDIT]Never mind, I googled it and found that it's Cyrix got brough out by VIA[/EDIT]

Via has a nice CPU for their target market (low power systems). The Nano (Isaiah) CPU's have an impressive performance per watt.

We use them at our school...horrible, they're just horrible.

Theres like 50computes which have AMD 4200x2 processors on, people fight to use them. The other 800 or so computers all Via, and they're old Via processors too.

But ergh, EU annoy me. They're so astonishingly corrupt.

We use them at our school...horrible, they're just horrible.

Theres like 50computes which have AMD 4200x2 processors on, people fight to use them. The other 800 or so computers all Via, and they're old Via processors too.
the old via processors were the C7's. They use in-order execution and can do 1 IPC.

The Isaiah is their first chip that uses out-of-order execution, and can do about 3 IPC. It also supports x86-64, so it's much better.

Besides, the responsiveness also depends a lot on the amount of RAM, and software. And in the case of school/university computers, the network too.

Too often they're paired with only 512MB RAM and bogged down with a lot of software.
If it has 2-4GB RAM, and paging file disabled or set to a low level, the system can be very responsive irrespective of the CPU.

But ergh, EU annoy me. They're so astonishingly corrupt.
In this case, it's a decision that needs to be made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom