err, thinking i might be getting scammed

Status
Not open for further replies.

funkywaggnelz

In Runtime
But I don't see how... Lemme explain...

So I posted my whole comp on craigslist and I got the usual 5 emails f rom scammers. Sometimes for fun I play along to see how they will scam me and cut it off with a nasty email. Anyway, I got the typical "i want to buy this now, i will send yout his much blah blah" but they offered to pay with check and to come pick it up. Still they offered way more than what I was selling it at (the same comp I have been trying to sell here, they sent me a check for 2800). SHipped DHL and the routing stuff was like through Dubai but the check was from someone named yvette in rhode island. Anyway, keeping going with it, I took it to the bank and asked about it. They put a 5 business day hold on it to wait for it to clear because of the concern I expressed. They said if it was a fake then it would just be removed from my account plus a 5 dollar charge. I deposited it and the 5 days have gone by no problem. the hold cleared and now I am concerned to even touch it, you know?

What do you guys think? I mean if it was a fake or a scam it would have been caught in those 5 days, thats why they put the hold on it.

I'd check with your bank and see if everything is kosher in the end and what protection you have if something arises later. I think this is definitely a scam but since it hasn't been caught yet it may be a very good one. I'd be very wary!

I agree kinda. I mean I don't really see what they could do at this point, you know? The check cleared so even if the check was a fake or something like that, wouldn't it be on the bank now because I waited the holding period? What if for my own safety, I closed that account and reopened another with a different account number?

Edit: The other aspect being that at most this person only has my name and an address. The address isnt even my permanent one that I use for banking and identification purposes. I used my local, temporary one cuz Im at school. So they couldn't really get like my banking or ID info, could they?

It will clear, at first....it will actually take anywhere from 1-3 months for them to realize it's not legit.

And no, It'll fall on you....they'll take the money back and charge you whatever they want for it.

It takes so long because a lot of checks are cashed every day, and it takes time for them to check to see if it's legit or a forgery.

By federal law, banks have to make the funds that you deposit available to you within 1-5 days...once they discover that it's a forgery, it will bounce.

And it's your fault because you're the one dealing with the guy and you're the one who willingly cashed a possibly forged check.

Heh, i got one of these emails yesterday. Saying im the last decendant of "insert my last name here" and that they had 16 million dollars. All i had to do was "insert scam here".
Delete..
Move on with your life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom