Engineering Calculators

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good question.

It's either that they ONLY allow those calculators listed above and nothing else...

OR

you can use the basic scientific calculators (as you mentioned), in addition to those a little more advanced (the ones mentioned by them).

My guess would be the latter, although I may be wrong.

The TI-89 Titanium has been quite a lifesaver for me so far, but for the most part my math classes do not even allow a calculator for exams (or at most, just a cheapo scientific calculator for performing approximations). It may be allowable for actual major courses (at least for me so far). Real world engineers seem to have a preference for HP calculators as well.

heh my freind has an 89, it has 3dD graphics! very powerful machine, were the 83 was the rough equivalent to the IBM PC the 89 is like a Mac SE if you guys can remeber those. i got started programming onmy 83 TIBASIC is alot of fun compared to other forms of BASIC, i have an entire set of apps i and my freinds wrote that almost completly covers high school math, obviously too much for the 83's 188k rom and 24k ram lol.

Martin said:
The TI-89 Titanium has been quite a lifesaver for me so far, but for the most part my math classes do not even allow a calculator for exams (or at most, just a cheapo scientific calculator for performing approximations). It may be allowable for actual major courses (at least for me so far). Real world engineers seem to have a preference for HP calculators as well.

I second that. None of my college calculus courses let me use any calculators -- why? You don't need them. Itd be nice if you could punch in the integral and have the TI 89 find it's anti-derivative, but there's no way you can do that on a test.

I guess it's for personal usage really... homework, things like that.

God knows in the real world you don't sit and calculate complex integrals... that's why you have engineering math programs (ie Matrix Labratory aka MATLAB).

MATLAB is awesome to say the least....... I haven't fiddled around with it much (well, only for a couple of simple lab experiments), but it may come in handy later when I take my series of network analysis classes.

Yeah it's an awesome program. It's very complicated. You can use it for almost anything.

Mathematica/Maple doesn't compare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom