The end is nigh, repent sinners! Global warming..whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol, riddle me this batman:
what are the two processes of accretion?
and i didn't say my physics classes were world-class, only advanced. my university is the classy one.

and by the way man spelling has everything to do with knowledge. if you cant spell "knowledge", how can you understand quantum? einstein could spell. it cracks me up that kids today think they know everything. ha ha but of course when i was a kid i knew everything, too. but i came to find out...i didn't. and it didn't do to pretend with the big boys who aren't pretending. lol.

i beleave they are "time distortion, and gravity (not sure on gravity), and i never said i know everything but i really hate it when people say teen agers don't know anything. funny, u say youger people allways say they know everything, it seems that older people think everyone who's young don't know anything.

you are actually right about gravity (somewhat), it has to do with a body growing larger by gravitationally attracting matter.
time distortion....uhhhhh lol oooweeeeeooooweeeoooo
second is way more complex and deals with electromagnetics and such and there aint no way in ****in h*** im takin the time to explain that one :eek:

ok lets straighten up here...
i dont think that teenagers dont know anything. i am not that far from teenager. lol far enough i guess.
what i DO think is that the world is full of smart *** kids who say, "you dont know ****" and then stick out their tounge to gauge the reaction.
well, you got your reaction. i know more about astrophysics, and probably physics in general, than you do. GET OVER IT. there will always be someone who knows more, or has more, or thinks more or whatever more than you. thats what irritates me about kids, is that they think they are they pinnacle of the world. not that they are stupid. not all are. i met a 14 year old that demolished me in several chess games. he didn't think he was the smartest person on the earth, though. which was probably his strongest attribute. besides his massive chess skills lol.

That is complete BS. The last I checked we were just over 380ppm, which is the highest it has been in over 650,000 years....

Carbon dioxide level highest in 650,000 years
so basically what that's saying, is that the level of CO2 650,000 years ago was higher than it is today.
for all u guys that think global warming is BS, you need to learn some earth science. since there is more and more c02 in the atmosphere temperatures on earth are rising
Then why were people 50 years ago worried about another ice age?

If you look at charts much longer than the last century, you'll see that CO2 actually lags behind global temperature by about 800 years.
In the Earth's history, it is the temperature that changes first. then CO2 follows.
Temperature increases, then 800 years later, CO2 does.
Temperature decreases, then 800 years later, CO2 does.

The oceans actually absorb and release CO2, depending on temperature (if you've studied Chemistry, think of equilibrium reactions)
since the oceans occupy a very large volume, and are a lot more dense than the atmosphere, and because it's a lot harder for the sun's energy to reach the lower depths of the ocean than the atmosphere, it takes a long time for the overall temperature of the oceans to change - and thus, a long time for CO2 to be released from the oceans. 800 years long, in fact.

But the point is, Earth's history has shown that temperature doesn't follow CO2.
The only time it has, is in the last 40 years. And that doesn't automatically mean CO2 is causing it to change. It just means that CO2 has risen at the same time as temperature in the last 40 years. But so have other variables.

Take a look at this for example:
piratesarecool.jpg

the number of pirates (real pirates, not software pirates) has decreased, while global temperature has increased. Does that mean the absence of pirates are causing the temperature to rise?
hint why the polar ice caps are melting.
Because it's warmer now than it was 50 years ago. Which doesn't mean it's going to continue to get warmer.
You can't draw a straight line ahead of a current trend, and expect the graph to follow your line. That's how many people lose in the share market.
and since there melting the level of the ocean is going to go up
Actually, the expansion of the sea water due to heat has a much bigger effect on water level than ice melting.
And Earth's history has shown us that sea level changes with temperature changes (even with higher temperatures than we're experiencing now) haven't been nearly as big as some people are saying it will.

ahh, hickfarm, if the earth isn't even 100,000 years old then whats with all the Dinosaur skelitons all over the place.
I agree that the earth is much older, but that's a big can of worms.

i don't mean to be a know a it all Nagasam, but space is not infinite
How do you know?
it is just expanding very fast.
You can still expand an infinitely large plane.
but space has an end
which is where?
Nobody has been able to point out an "end" of the universe.
Which doesn't mean the universe is or isn't infinite, but I prefer not to make assumptions.

*note
I've quoted Luke a fair bit in this post. I'm just going to say that it's nothing personal. It was just easier to post my opinion this way.

aat our level of understanding we can't travel 100,000 times the speed of light, in a 1000 years people could be laughing at the fact that we though its impossibly to travel 100.000 times the speed of light.
if Einstein's relativity is 100% correct, we can't.

M = M0/SQRT[1-(v²/C²)]
where:
M = mass at velocity V
M0 = rest mass (V=0)
V = velocity
C = speed of light (3x10^8 m/s)

As V approaches C, V²/C² approaches 1
which means that the denominator of the equation is going to approach zero
but in mathematics, it is impossible to divide by zero.
So your velocity (V) can get closer and closer to the speed of light (C), but it is impossible to actually reach it

The earth is getting warmer, melting the ice caps, which is releasing fresh water into the ocean, which will disrupt the currents, which will cause a new ice age.

Nope, we're good. :D

Be careful with technologies used for dating. C14 dating is highly innacurate once you get past a couple of thousand years, and the others are a mixed bag. According to dating procedures, the trees around Mt. St. Helen are thousands of years old. ;)

Yeah, I am a YEC, and have no problem with it. I have heard people use fossils, erosion, trees, plate tectonics, whatever to prove otherwise, but that's not a problem to me. Nor are the stars and their age. The answers are there, and I'll leave it at that.

Short of world-wide nuclear devastation, man isn't going to destroy the world any time soon... no matter what Al Gore says.

the sun's got about 4-5 billion years left before it runs out of hydrogen. Then, there will be heavier elements left (but not heavier than Iron), and it'll collapse.

Yup I'm aware of that....but in about 7 billion years from now it will begin to pulsate and become unstable...once it becomes unstable enough then it will rapidly collapse into a white dwarf.

and as Ste said, unfortunately it doesn't have enough mass otherwise the force of this rapid collapse would result in a supernova.

I remember hearing about a WWII plane that was buried under ice that scientists believed to be thousands of years old when clearly the ice couldn't have been that old. I don't believe the earth is billions, millions, or even hundreds of thousands of years old. So much of science is speculation anymore. Hardly any concrete proof. I a creationist so maybe it will be harder to convince me on all this science mombo jumbo.

Am I reading this correctly? You think the earth is less than hundreds of thousands of years old? :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom