The end of my unemployment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You want a job in these troubled times you have to be prepared to pack up your life and move to it and do anything and everything you can. For the married guys and those with kids that's not easy but for anyone in the 18-25 bracket, most of the baggage you may have it is best to shed it and progress then stagnate and hope. Girlfriends and friends will be there when you return or you can use the networks you build in new areas to help them get a job nearby.
Yea, this is KEY. I'm even married with kids and still willing to go to the jobs. Luckily I was just renting and didn't have to deal with trying to dump a house. Really though, in this economy you have to be willing to go to the work instead of waiting for the work to come to you.

Relocating is not an option for me. My mom is getting on up in years as is my mother-in-law. It is up to us to take care of them as they get older and both live here (MiL with us for now, my mom a house back). I have two houses that I can't sell (my current and my old one that my MiL is making payments on as she is buying it from us that way).

As I said for you married guys with families it is hard to move but trotter your actively seeking employment by doing your forklift training for a minimal wage. At least a minimal wage is better then no wage, for my first month in this job I worked for $100USD trial wage (incl food, visa, accommodation) for the month and I was choosing to work 90 hour weeks. I was getting paid the same amount as the people that worked 40hour weeks picking their noses and sleeping but they are losing their jobs whilst I am negotiating a hefty increase in my contract.

Who said anything about minimum wage? I could draw the equivalent of minimum wage through unemployment, so working for minimum wage would be stupid. I currently make almost double minimum wage in this temp job (which is the only reason I am there).

While I am a really good forklift driver (I have won competitions doing it), I hate it. A trained monkey could do the job. Even though we use a RF scanner doing the job it is still mindless and requires no real skill. I feel like I lose IQ points just doing it. Some of the people I work with are cool and great folk and all, but there is nothing to challenge my mind other than watching out and avoiding those who can't drive for squat. The supervisor has picked up a little of what I know but he won't use me for anything else because I am only there until the automation project is finished and will then be let go with all the rest of the drivers. I feel like a surgical scalpel being used to clean toenails. :(

Who said anything about minimum wage? I could draw the equivalent of minimum wage through unemployment, so working for minimum wage would be stupid. I currently make almost double minimum wage in this temp job (which is the only reason I am there).

While I am a really good forklift driver (I have won competitions doing it), I hate it. A trained monkey could do the job. Even though we use a RF scanner doing the job it is still mindless and requires no real skill. I feel like I lose IQ points just doing it. Some of the people I work with are cool and great folk and all, but there is nothing to challenge my mind other than watching out and avoiding those who can't drive for squat. The supervisor has picked up a little of what I know but he won't use me for anything else because I am only there until the automation project is finished and will then be let go with all the rest of the drivers. I feel like a surgical scalpel being used to clean toenails. :(

I think that's from smashing your head on your desk so much.

:p

Great to hear good new out there- congrats!! Even us self employed business owners are talking in on the chin with this economy. I have had my own office for 20 years and made less cash in 2010 than I had in the previous 16 years. My kids definitely knew that "santa" was not as generous this year as he had been in years past. But, I swore years ago- back in High School that I would never work for anybody else and I think that has worked best for this very opinionated person who is terrible at keeping his mouth shut at appropriate times until it is too late.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom