The end of my unemployment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been looking for a job since summer of '09... Around here even getting a job as a dishwasher is hard. Thankfully my parents are letting me stay in the house while I go to school.

I am working as a temp, driving a forklift. It ain't glamorous but I was employed for 16 months before this gig. This job will run out around March-May so I am looking in the meantime.

The things I believe helped me:

1. Network the **** out of yourself! Get all over LinkedIn, Facebook, and other social sites that you can find work on. Believe it or not, people have found their dream job on Facebook. Along those lines...get anything you wouldn't want recruiters to see off of your profile. Put a professional image of yourself as your profile pic. Make sure you have a 100% profile on LinkedIn and try to get some recommendations.
  2. Not just social networking, but go through everyone you know and start calling them. Most people find jobs through people they know (as we can see with Abstract.)
  3. Find where you want to work and make a list of 10 or so, then call them all. Keep at it until you get a hold of someone. I got my job because I was persistent and got a hold of someone. This then associated my voice to my resume in a PILE of other good candidate's resumes, making it stand out.
  4. Always dress professionally for an interview! I don't go to an interview--even for a job I might not have a shot at, or am even overqualified for--without wearing a suit and tie.
  5. Don't just tell what you've done on your resume, show it. SO important! How did you save the company money? What awards did you get? etc etc.
  6. Keep your outgoing voicemail messages professional. Don't have music play while your phone rings and even get rid of "cutesy" messages like you and your GF/wife, or your kids.
All these things were recommended to me through a job-hunting counselor and/or through the career transition company I was fortunate enough to have access to. A lot of it was uncomfortable for me, but I just had to plug through it. I got a job quickly because I stuck with these suggestions and was determined. Lastly, job hunting should be your new job. I spent all day on the computer going over companies, scouring postings, and updating my profiles and information. I wasn't on TF and rarely played games or jacked around on the computer. It was all work.

Good luck guys! There are jobs out there and companies are starting to hire quite a bit again. PM me if you want. I learned a lot from my unfortunate experience.

I am going on ~2 years, the longer your out, the less the chance you will get back into the workforce.

That is exactly how it was for me when i went looking again after 3 years out of work. I started back at Sears for minimum wage of $7.25 and now work at Walmart for a couple $ more. While i think some of the stuff synergy said is good, at the same time it is bad. LinkedIn is about job hunting. But Facebook is about connecting with family and friends. Sorry but if a place of employment cant handle the fact that i talk to family members that i havent seen in years on my Facebook page, then i am better off unemployed than with them. I am not going to discourage family and friends for posting stuff on my wall cause i am looking for a job. It is a social site for a reason. Heck i see worse stuff on my mgmt's facebook page than i have on mine.

But aside from that i do agree with what he said. Its just that one bit about that specific social site that i find disturbing. That a company expects you to be professional even when reconnecting with family and friends from your past when you may not have done some of the wisest things. We all were young, dumb and full of fun at one point. Dont hide who you truly are.

Yea, I completely agree with you...we should all be able to be ourselves on those sites. I was talking more about the smashing drunk party pics, or the flaming of your last boss, or something extreme like that. Most important part of those sites, however, is just networking yourself and talking with other people to see if opportunities are out there. Just by doing this you can go from no prospects to a handful in a matter of days.

Congrats, Abstract! I just got my first job and how I found out about it was a tip from a friend. Got a call from him, called the business, got an interview, got a job! I have been working for about 6 months now. I had only applied for a couple jobs before that and hadn't really tried hard. To those who are unemployed just keep looking and good luck!

Cool! Glad to see you are back on your feet.

Thankfully my parents are letting me stay in the house while I go to school.

That's nice. I had problems with my parents when I lost my job 12 months ago. It was just plain stupid that they where going to let my god father (found new job in Sydney) live with them over me. At the time, my land lady was giving me 6 weeks to find a job or cough up with some thing for rent. When I was explaining this to my parents, I was get getting a lot of Umms and Errs followed by "But David (god father) starts his new job (85K per year) and he needs a place to stay while he settle down and find a place to stay for him and the rest of his family"
Thankfully I was only out of work for 10 days.

1. Network the **** out of yourself! Get all over LinkedIn, Facebook, and other social sites that you can find work on. Believe it or not, people have found their dream job on Facebook. Along those lines...get anything you wouldn't want recruiters to see off of your profile. Put a professional image of yourself as your profile pic. Make sure you have a 100% profile on LinkedIn and try to get some recommendations.

1. Pretty much. I was up at 5am in the morning applying for jobs online. And I was applying for every thing.
    I had more than one resume. Technical, Sales and Managerial depending on the job role.

As for Facebook, I got a second account for professional services. Last thing i need is employers seeing pictures of me drunk on Saturday night or my douche bag friend making douche bag remarks on my page.

I have never been out of work. The closest I got was around 6 months ago but 1 month before my contract was due I became a spammer by sending around 500 emails a day for every company worldwide in my industry with my CV and cover letter. After a week of that I then had more job offers then I could deal with literally 50% replied and 1-2% replied with an offer of employment.

You want a job in these troubled times you have to be prepared to pack up your life and move to it and do anything and everything you can. For the married guys and those with kids that's not easy but for anyone in the 18-25 bracket, most of the baggage you may have it is best to shed it and progress then stagnate and hope. Girlfriends and friends will be there when you return or you can use the networks you build in new areas to help them get a job nearby.

I miss home but at least I am employed and earning a reasonable wage (nowhere near what I could live off in the UK though) whilst many of my friends have been stuck in a rut for a number of years. For the guys that have families think about what your good at and what skills it utilises and build on them through additional training and look for jobs with similar aspects in different industries. If through research you find a gap in an industry take the risk and go freelance creating a consulting agency to fill that void if properly planned it will be a success. If all else fails go find the informal employment for manual labour and work through that network.

I was a water sports manager when I started but within 1.5 months I did so much work that involved marketing and improving suppliers for the whole place I proved myself and got the GM fired. I now have the job until they find someone better to replace me. As I work hard I am sure they will just re assign me if it happens as I have ensured I am as integrated and vital to the company as I possibly can. If I leave it will be my decision not the companies and I will take my relationships and contacts with suppliers and customers that I have built through my own expense away with me. The suppliers will of course keep their business with the company but the new guy/girl won't be able to get the contracts with them that I can because they won't have a social relationship.

Luckily like 365g700 my mom was letting me stay at home so long as I was either in school or had a job now that I have both though she is a lot more happy with me. lol

Around August I should be moving into my first place with my fiance so things appear to be coming together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom