Are emulators legal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GameGURU

Fully Optimized
I want to get a PS2 Emulator...but I dont know if it is legal or not. I dont want to go to anything illegal. I have the games and the PS2 so...is it legal or not and how do they work?

Dude i dont even think they have made a successful ps2 emulator,
dont bother trying to download one because you are inviting spyware/viruses, all that good stuff.

emulators are not illegal.

im not shur how good the latest gen emulators work, i dont use them.

these 2 sites arnt filled with spam or adware...

--> this one has the avalible 3 ps2 emu's ... Link

--> this is the best rom site iv found, since mame.dk went offline... Link

Answer to your question..... NO.

But there is nothing stopping you from using one in the comfort on your own home.

If you were using them in commercial location (eg. a internet / lan cafe) then you are asking for trouble.

ok seriously YES or NO, I have read alot of articles concerning this and they all say yes, it is legal.

IMHO, I think that Emulators are illegal to create. And unsupport to use.

IE. If you create and distribute a Sony PlayStation Emulator, then don't be surpised if Sony desides to take you court, or at least give you a letter of warning saying "Cease and Desist". However if you use a Sony PlayStation, and you have problems playing a game, then you are one your own as the product is not supported.

Now common sence would say "Why would sony even care?" After all, Sony now sells the console at a loss (or at cost) in order to make money on the games. But we are talking about Sony's Lawers here... who have too much money and too much time.

I do remember many years ago that Sony was shutting down websites with PSX and PS2 emulators. I am not sure what there position on that is now days considering that the PS2 colsoles are that cheap. Personally I think that they should not even care as they make the more just on the games as appose to the consoles.

HOWEVER....... I have heard that there is a PS2 Emulator that works on X-Box. This is a 3rd party software, and I can imagine that Sony's Lawers would love to get their hands on the individual that coded that one up.

Emulators are like your Boot Leg DVD Movies. Nothing stopping you from using them in the comfort of your own home, but they are illegal distribute.

I do not for a fact that ROM Emulators are illegal to use a commericial enviroment. A client of mine set up an LAN Cafe. The computer had a massive collection of Arcade Game ROMs.
Big No-No!
One of the Arcade Games Distributors took him down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom