Electronic corrosion cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.

PP Mguire

Build Guru
I have a Mackie PA amp that has suffered the fire and water damage from January. It is my biggest amp and still works. My problem is, the switches in the back are corroded and I'm not exactly sure how to clean that out. Does anybody have some sort of spray solution that would work with this? The switch is all one piece so I can't exactly take them apart.

I also need something that could clean out scratchy pots. A PA buddy of my dads got in contact with me and was going to give me some cleaner to spray right on the electronics (my 32 band EQ, mixer, ect) and with some work would clean that stuff out. Unfortunately he is fried and forgot. He also didn't tell me what he had. So now it is up to me to ask other tech people if they know of such a substance and what it might be.

what type of corrosion? If it's like the corrosion you see on a battery then a mixture of baking soda and water will clean it up. If it's more of a tarnish then you can use something with a lot of acid like ketchup.

Well I can't open it up to find out. My guess is the kind when water hits untreated metal, or when a lot of moisture hits electronic pieces like pots and switches/gliders. Since it handles current I will need something that drys quickly.

Without looking at it there's really no telling what you'll actually need to do. The longer you wait the more likely you'll need to replace parts.

Well they have lasted over half a year this way and still work. I need to replace them anyways, but not something that is happening any time soon.

As in can't take apart, I mean the switch is all one piece. It is soldered into a board and the box is a solid piece of metal.

Walmart automotive has something called "Electrical Contact Cleaner" works great at dissolving rust/corrosion in switches/pots and such, just don't apply power while still wet XD

Walmart automotive has something called "Electrical Contact Cleaner" works great at dissolving rust/corrosion in switches/pots and such, just don't apply power while still wet XD
I'll look when I'm there. I have been given a bunch of ideas so I guess gotta try em all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom