Ebay for Selling Computers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

commandercup

cuPWNED
Does Ebay fetch reasonable prices for computers? I'm thinking about selling my computer and starting over from scratch after making some small upgrades/changes. Visually, I'm sure the computer itself is quite good looking and on the performance side, I'll be shipping it overclocked in nearly all aspects so even if it isn't top of the line, its more then decent.

Can a computer sell for more then all the parts are actually worth?

It can, if you can make it appeal to the right person. Mostly people have descriptions like "super fast gaming computer" or "better than alienware" which is pretty vague and then when you look at the specs it's all sub par yet someone will bid on it. Just try to sale your PC for what it's worth, give a deeper description of it than "GAMING PC!!!!!!!11" and set it to a fair price with a fair S/H charge. You might get more out of it though if you part it out and sale on here.

And if you set it on eBay, try to make it appealing as possible and use more then gaming or PC for keywords, the more people who see this and are attracted to it the more bids you will get for it.

yeah, I've already been thinking about various things I could do to make the listing unique and more attractive to a consumer since most ebay stores already post up generic listings with basic statistics and terms

I might just try and sell it and see how it goes... It'd be great fun to order a whole batch of stock parts to make a new PC if my old one sold well

Also, what type of listing do you think is best for computers? Buy it now with best offer? Auction seems sort of pointless because I'll definately require a reserve (which would be the price of all the components)... actually that might make sense

Parting it out on here will not net you more than 70% or so of what you paid for the parts, and that is if they are current gen. If the computer has a little mileage, or is previous gen, you won't get much at all parting it out here.

eBay, on the other hand, gives you the opportunity to come close, or actually exceed, what you paid for the parts to build the computer, especially if it is previous gen. A current gen setup will easily make you money.

If you want to part out an older computer (pre-C2D, s939), you will make out better doing so on eBay.

heres a preview of a basic layout I've thought up... sorry for the weird image lol

http://www.n00bshack.com/ocpcebay.JPG

there are many things I'll change such as some of the pictures will be outdated once I sell the GTS and get the GT, price is quite high right now, not sure if I want to be that ambitious... this is a used PC after all and the price is for a totally new rig...

any big things I need to fix?

I sold one laptop on eBay and I'm not so sure I'd like to do it again. I had to relist 3 times just because of fraudulent buyers that eBay caught. They immediately took down my auction rather than just blocking the user. It can be worth it if you don't have to deal with this **** though.

0_0, never though about fraud... I guess I'll make sure the winning bidder has decent feedback

thats a good point though... it wouldn't be much safer selling anywhere else though imo, ebay owns paypal, so if I get screwed by someone using paypal, ebay will own them twice

Be sure you have a little feedback under your belt or it will be pretty hard to sell... especially when you are dealing with any kind of electronics.

I'll have only ~32 by this weekend... but it'll all be 100% so I should be fine I guess... I think I might as well try, its only a $6 insertion fee...

0_0, never though about fraud... I guess I'll make sure the winning bidder has decent feedback

thats a good point though... it wouldn't be much safer selling anywhere else though imo, ebay owns paypal, so if I get screwed by someone using paypal, ebay will own them twice

ebay and paypal both suck royally for protecting people
i would try craigslist first

also ebay also take a percentage of the final sale, and you also lose that

god i hate ebay and paypal with a passion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom