"A+ is Dying"

Status
Not open for further replies.

macdude425

Member (again)
Just had a conversation with my father, the computer sciences instructor, and we got onto the subject of A+ certification, and he told me:

"A+ is dying...it used to be a big deal, but now everyone has it..."

What are your comments and reactions to this?

A+ is worthless now, computer building and hardware and software information has just boomed lately, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to build a PC anymore.

Back in the day, probably only 1 in 100 would ever touch the inside of a computer. Nowadays, I'd be willing to bet that's closer to 1 in 10.

Also, the A+ manual is horribly out of date. I've read it, and they preach garbage about slot A and original Pentiums and blah blah blah, so much irrelevant crap that you will NEVER come across now.

Anyone who hangs around this forum for a week would be A+ qualified in my eyes, it's not something that's really an achievement anymore.

they use older parts for a reason though, it is easier to understand how a lot of moderm hardware and software works by looking into older hardware and software

It's so they can throw you on a dell assembly line and say 'Our computers are built by A+ certified technicians!'

It really means nothing. Supposed to be updated like what...every 2 years? and it's got crap in there from 5 years ago or more.

Most of that 'understanding the old helps for the new' doesn't really apply IMO.

you're better off learning the new since now-a-days the new and old are just so vastly different learning one isnt gonna help the other per se a whole lot

I agree that it's dying... BUT... it isn't dead yet. CompTIA has upgraded their tests so that they are upto todays standards. When I look at resumes, it is something I look for because it is the foundation for just about everything else. Sure it's easy to get and it doesn't say much, but if you took the time to start at the bottom, then you will take the time to work your way up.

I think it is something that is needed for a job and means that the people are determiend not to go far in life and not taking the easy way out.

in reality, certifications are really just a promise to a customer / organization that you know what you're doing because you've taken the time to get certified, and that you know COMPTIA/ Microsoft/Apple's answer to the question.

The way the A+ is done is inherently stupid. It should really be done by having somebody do a series of tasks that are setup by A+ Certified Instructors, and if you get it done, then you're certified. In the "Real World", that's all the customer cares about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom