Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually recommend more of a midrange pc. You can get
Athlon 64 3800+
1gb memory
250gb hd
nvidia/ati integrated grafix
dvd writer
for about $550. A Celeron D with 256mb or even 512mb is going to be pretty slow when they start running antivirus, antispyware, printer software, and all of the preinstalled software their pc is going to come with. It's tough for me to recommend something low end like that, they'll just want to buy another one in 2 years. I think a lot of the people that you deal with, Beed, seem to generally use their computer to check email (via dialup) and type stuff that they may later email (via dialup), or at least that's the impression I get. Many of my customers have more varied needs and are willing to invest a little more in their machine.

the only time i go into retail stores is when I need a specific component in a hurry... just walk up and ask for xxx. Other than that I get everything online.

lol harper, i took your advice,, you had some good ones. I went to microcenter yesterday and told the tech that i needed a cable that had a usb connector on one end and a firewire on the other. He took me over to cables and looked for bout 3 minutes, then he had a puzzled look... went and asked another tech, he looked, then they both looked puzzled... then the first one went and asked a manager. Then he came and said.. no we dont have them,, in half indian\half english,, and said maybe compusa would have one

I had an old diskman that broke under extended warrenty so I took it back to radioshack and they said we are going to send it off to get repaired it will be back in 2 weeks. so i came back in 2 weeks and they looked up the status on the repair and they said there was no record of the place even recieving it for repair so it must have gotten lost in shipping. 2 more weeks passed then I got a call and they said it was fixed so I went and it was still broken. so they took it back for yet another repair and then no word for a month then I got it back. it worked but kt went through batteries in 2 hours so I just got an mp3 player. Needless to say the people at radioshack are complete idiots.

Radio Shack got bought out anyways by Circuit City. And when they were in existance, they were so expensive, and sold crappy products. Like Centrios and Optimus. Have they heard of Sony?

Idiot boss from my first IT job had a lovely tallent of saying the wrong thing, especially when he did not know the full facts.

Firstly he was a control freak as every single bit of invoice or purchase order needed to be approve by him first. Anyways, I am working on this customer's computer, and it turns out that the motherboard needs replacing.
So I have this purchase order on his desk. I remind him about it, and he tells me he's on to it. The next day I noticed that there is no courier with my motherboard. I remind him another 2 more time, and still no motherboard. Meanwhile, the customer calls up asking about the computer. However she gets the boss instead.
It did not click to him that this was the customer that which I need the motherboard for. It did not click to him that have been doing my job in requesting these parts.
So he thinks I have been slacking off, so he idenifies himself as the Boss. And then my client starts making demands that she wants here computer system fixed ASAP as she is trying to run a business, (Especially considering that I have been holding on to this computer for about a week with no parts), and he replies :-
"What's your rush? It's customers like you that cost us our margin"

Anyways, he desides to have a go at me :-
Nick :- I just had rude customer call up demanding about a motherboard that you are suppose be repairing.
Me :- What it (insert client name and company) ? Because if it was, the purchase order has been sitting your desk for the last week now. I have been remind you to get it, and you have been feeding me bull$#!+ about getting it in.
Then he starts on his song and dance that he's the boss and that I should be greatful that he does not fire me. And once again, I was daring him to fire me. 15 minutes of arguing later, and shortly after I pointed out my net value per hour I told him, he finally does the purchase order.

Anyways, I had the client call in this afternoon, again the boss get the phone. He was then pretending that it was not him that said that line. And then after that Nick was going around privatly asking the other sales guys about who told the costomer "It's customers like you that cost us our margin?"

She come in 15 minute later to have talk with me asking "WTF is going on here."
Thankfully the boss was in the bath room so I explain every thing.
So she tells me this.....
Client :- "The only reason why I deal with your company is because of YOU. Your boss is an @$$hole, and I can see that you are going to walk out on him given the first oportunity. If you leave, I want to know where you go"

3 jobs later, I am still looking after the same client.

jseber1982 said:
lol harper, i took your advice,, you had some good ones. I went to microcenter yesterday and told the tech that i needed a cable that had a usb connector on one end and a firewire on the other. He took me over to cables and looked for bout 3 minutes, then he had a puzzled look... went and asked another tech, he looked, then they both looked puzzled... then the first one went and asked a manager. Then he came and said.. no we dont have them,, in half indian\half english,, and said maybe compusa would have one

With my first IT Job, I used to get the new guy (who ever he was that month) to call up Wiretek asking for things like IDE Cable for Hard Drive with Female Plug (and insist that it's an IDE and not SCSI).

beedubya, do you work at staples? sounds very similar.. i worked as the "easy mobile technician" there, and the times out i was out on the floor - they would get mad because I couldnt' sell a USB to a WIRELESS-ready printer (in which they were ready to use).

Just curious

Office depot, same thing as staples.

My job has dumbed me down in computers so much its unbelivable. To do my job, I have to sink to the level of the people in my area, who are perhaps the dumbest people in the entire country.

And yeah jorsoft, probably 9 out of 10 of my customers buying computers use their computer for email (AOL) and solitaire/freecell.

People think this is an easy job, and it may be physically and even mentally. Where it really gets you is psychologically.

MrCoffee said:
the only time i go into retail stores is when I need a specific component in a hurry... just walk up and ask for xxx. Other than that I get everything online.
Same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom