Dumbest thing a tech in a retail store has told you

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tend to tick the salespeople off at Best Buy. They walk up and ask if they could help me... I look at them and say no and grin like the cat who ate the canary. They either look confused, or if they realize that I just insulted them they look mad.

I did find one guy there who knows his stuff. Too bad he doesn't work there anymore.

jorsoft03 said:
I work in a retail tech store. I'm pretty sure I know my stuff well but I have to do a lot of dumbing down just like Beedubya and I do work with the occasional idiot. I had one pc repair tech who though he could install a standard agp graphics card into a small form factor Gateway just by cutting it...lengthwise...with a razor blade...it didn't need all those extra capacitors apparently....
I also work with an older guy (still lives at home) who claims to have a bachelor's degree in Computer Science (not quite, similar major name but not really computer science) and didn't know what "dxdiag" was. Pretty sure I knew that since I was 12...
I really don't like other techy people who talk to me and assume I don't know anything, it does really get on my nerves. Kind of satisfying to turn something around on them that they don't know and leave them without an answer. At least that's satisfying.

This guy I work with says he has a programming degree yet he insists that Windows is written in the "Visual Basic Java" language and Linux is written in the "Unix" language. I've tried to correct him but its no use, and he called me an idiot.

One thing that annoys me is when I do something simple like change the desktop background or delete a file people are like "Wow, you are such a computer whiz!"

Several years ago my parents got a P166 MMX machine. I was told by the salesperson that I would never have to upgrade again. :confused:

Martin said:
Several years ago my parents got a P166 MMX machine. I was told by the salesperson that I would never have to upgrade again. :confused:

I usually tell them that it should last them 5-7 years before needing to upgrade. That is true for the average user who surfs the net, does word processing, and plays the occasional game of solitaire.

beedubaya said:
This guy I work with says he has a programming degree yet he insists that Windows is written in the "Visual Basic Java" language and Linux is written in the "Unix" language. I've tried to correct him but its no use, and he called me an idiot.

One thing that annoys me is when I do something simple like change the desktop background or delete a file people are like "Wow, you are such a computer whiz!"
lol I can totally relate to both comments. If he was really a programmer (similar to my guy, who knows absolutely noting about programming but insists he has a bachelor's) you'd think he'd have a job programming and earning $60k a year instead of punching a clock working retail....
And about the background changing, that's nothing. Try changing the screensaver, especially to one of them that has the fishes swimming around in the background. Very l33t :)

jorsoft03 said:
Try changing the screensaver, especially to one of them that has the fishes swimming around in the background. Very l33t :)

Lol, everybody's jaws drop at that one. I had one guy, an old man, he was like "I can't believe it! That looks so real! That looks realer than real!"

must suck to live in your area's.

Around here every tech store knows there stuff, **** even I've been corrected and told about better products for the same price (mostly because i know pretty mutch all the tech people in every store on a personal level so I get discounts).

Its pretty cool, I think they have pictures of me put up just so they dont talk stupid to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom