Dumbest tech purchases ever made and why...

Status
Not open for further replies.

beedubaya

Golden Master
Me and a friend were talking about dumb tech purchases in our past and I would like to see what others have to say. Tell your dumbest purchases, when they were, and why they were dumb.

Ill start with mine...

September 2005 - Sound Blaster X-Fi. I had an Audigy 2 and while the X-Fi is better, its not $150 better.

October 2005 - Abit NV8 S754 PCI-E motherboard. I wanted a 7800GT but wanted to keep my S754 Athlon 64 3200+. That motherboard was crappy. I should have just went with my current setup from the get go.

October 2005 - GeForce 6800GT. I had an X800 Pro, and even for the time it sucked. However, getting the 6800GT at the time i did was a waste of money.

February 2005 - Samsung Syncmaster 997DF CRT. My NEC CRT, although round, was actually better. I should have just went LCD or stayed on my NEC CRT until I decided to go LCD.

June 2004 - X800 Pro. One of the worst cards for the money of all time. It could barely keep up with the regular 6800, let alone the 6800GT which it was priced against.

Don't remember the dates - Random crappy video games: Area 51, Pariah, First to Fight, Thief 3, and Star Wars Battlefront II. Probably some others but I can't think of them.

As you can see, I was once quite an impulse buyer. Lets hear some of your things, if you have them.

oh man, where do i start here... my whole dang computer!!!!! lol

lets start with my 7900gt... i feel i didnt need to buy it.... then i bought a second one... lol, then i sold that to get an x-fi.... then i sold the other 7900gt for an x1900xt... horrible mistakes i've made!

and my new system... i went for the x1950xtx instead of a 8800gts... lol, well i don't really mind that, but i woulda gotten alot more performance that way.... but oh well

I initially bought some incredibly crappy ECS mobo to go with my current computer. It was DOA, but after looking into it some more I realized it was no good and I just ordered a new mobo without even bothering to RMA the old one.

I suppose the choice wasn't that bad considering it was really cheap price wise as well, but it was wasted money nonetheless.

"[snippy-snippage]...."

When I had my first ATi RAGE PRO AGP, I replaced it with a ATi ALL-IN-WONDER PRO PCI. (Which is basicaly the same thing, but worse. :rolleyes: )

Since BOTH sucked [snippage], I ordered an ATi xPERT 2000 w ATi RAGE 128 chipset.......... After I got the thing, It almost sucked as much [snippage] as the ALL-IN-WONDER Mother***** I bought before, so I finaly decide to RESEARCH the card, only to find it had all bad reviews, and it wasn't a very good card. :freak:

I learned a valuable lesson that day: There is more to a video card than video ram. (in this case, it was less... :rolleyes: ) :( :cool:

nothing so far. I fully researched all of my purchases and justified the costs. I haven't upgraded my computer in a really long time as a result.

Sure i use s754, sure i'm on AGP, so what. I can play any game in existence on it. It also runs photoshop faster than the G5's we got at school.

went thru 4 (yes, four) sets of head phones... All over 100.00 just to find I didn't like the way they sound... in the span of a month... (finally found a bose set, but I spent a s***load of money doing it!)

Nukem said:
(finally found a bose set, but I spent a s***load of money doing it!)

You poor thing...

*insert long paragraph about along the lines of an "I told you so" statement*

Bose = Overpriced horse crap

Bose = Overpriced horse crap
Overpriced yes, but the few I've listened to sound great. Including the ones my parents have.

The biggest mistake I made was buying that NF3 board and trying to live with my 6800GT AGP when I should have just gone to PCI-E in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom