Dream computer desk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yami

Lady Techie
I was thinking about building myself a new desk the other day (my current one is uncomfortably small and short), and noticed that I had no idea where to start. I don't even know what dimensions and stuff to have.

This led me onto thinking of building myself the perfect desk... with all the features I could ever need, with ample space for my sizeable case (yay rhyme) on top, along with an 18" CRT and a 16" LCD.

If you built your own dream desk, how would you have it? Like mine, or a simple four legs+wide plank?

I have a really good desk atm its modular but the way I have it configured is simple one large flat desk then one large shelf about 750mm above the main desk which is ample roomk for a 24" although a bit cramped for a 30" hence why I didn't get one, although the beauty of the design is that its simple and I could if I wished lower the main desk and then have enough room for a larger screen.

One feature I would add however is a usb/ipod/headphones/esata/1394 port built into the desk like with the lian li desks plus an ipod connector. Having said that I have all those features built into my monitor and keyboard and still never use them.

Anyway this is my perfect desk (no longer in production mind but you may be able to get one second hand):

Approx 2 months ago

02012009522.jpg

When I first arranged it:

25102008505.jpg

I'm building my desk right now. It's an L-shaped corner desk. Has more than enough 'desktop' space, for keyboard, mouse, monitor, and still have room for other computer towers, model cars, other electronics, and just about anything I am working on. I have model sketchups somwhere. I'll post them later.

I miss the computer desk that I was using back in Primary / High School. My dad built it. It was long and it has lots of shelves on it so I could store software, books and printers on it. I would like to do some thing like this again. However this time i would make the shelves adjustable just in case my needs changed later. Eg. Change of monitor size.

The other thing that i would have is a under drawer area for storing my keyboard. If you can pick up these metal frames that do exactly that for $30 down at Ikea.

I have model sketchups somwhere. I'll post them later.
Please do ;)

-
On a side note, I went down to Staples today and they had four desks. Four. And they were all tiny. So yeah, I think I'll just be building my own.

My glass an steal L shaped monster came from staples, I love it I really do at the moment it has my main desktop, 2 laptops, a TV and server on it and i can still find room for 3 ash trays a printer a few empty cups and best of all I can store random crap under the corner.

40 - 60 a day depending on mood an stress. But 1 ash tray is never enough you can never find it when you want it so I have one small on on my keyboard tray one next to my printer an the 3d by my small bookshelf, all of them are kinda full.

My ideal desk is roughly 60'' long with oval holes in the farthest edges and enough width to fully enclose itself with the wall, but my room is a little small so I am thinking of a kind of 'virtual desk'. Where I use a small tray and my monitor is my television or LCD monitor.

I never have enough 'room' on my desk so I think building up maybe two shelves would be awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom