Doh! Fried it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nubius

Golden Master
Yup well ole nubius finally did it. Screwed around with things too much and I fried somethin!

While reading my chipset voltage with my multimeter my shakey hands went into play and the tip went right between the leg I was reading and connected with it's other leg in the middle thus creating a nice bright blue spark. The system didn't shut down or anything surprisingly, and the CPU isn't dead I already checked it.

Same with RAM and video card, they weren't even in the mobo at the time.

I haven't fully tested out the motherboard yet to see if it's officially dead but the chances are slim. I'm pretty sure the chipset took a mean voltage spike :p

Ahh well I'm lookin for ways to RMA muahahaha I'll see what happens :D

meh... the shock should have only affected the component you touched anyways. lol how old is this mobo?

it's only like barely over 90 days which is the newegg replacement length, BUT I just went to the "RMA Request" Section of newegg and there was still an option to RMA my board so I guess I'll just have to thoroughly test the board and if it's dead try newegg, if they reject it I'll try ABit :p Although I think they require a freakin $150 deposit when sending back a defective!

But yeah, it was a little MOSFET voltage regulator dude and it sparked against on of it's own legs so the only thing that has a chance of getting fried is the motherboard.

Like I said though it didn't immediately shut down or anything so I'm just praying perhaps some way it's ok

Yeah, just thoroughly tested the motherboard. She's a goner =/

RMA was approved by newegg though so come monday I'll be shipping it out and see if I can get it replaced :p

newegg preapproves all rma requests. They can still refuse after their guys receive your package. As long as it doesn't look obvious like burn marks than you're good to go.

Hopefully they will accept that rma. I wouldn't put any peice of metal next to a mobo. Mabey its possible you can clean any burn marks if it was only a spark.

so far i havent fried anything i tried to fry a 56k modem once. it didnt work. lol good luck, i hope i didnt curse myself, im going to buy another hard drive today.

newegg preapproves all rma requests. They can still refuse after their guys receive your package. As long as it doesn't look obvious like burn marks than you're good to go.
Yeah I know this. That's why I'm saying I'll just have to ship it off and see how it goes. BUT since it's been a while since I purchased the board I didn't even expect the preapproved.

But yeah there's no burn marks or anything. I looked for a blown capacitor or things of that nature that made it insanely obvious of electrical frying but couldn't find anything.

I wouldn't put any peice of metal next to a mobo.
It was a multimeter lead, not just some 'piece of metal'

Yes I know it was a multimeter lead, but I ment any piece if metal. Wether a probe, a screwdriver, or any other piece of metal you can think of if it was on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom