does anyone nderstand this regulation about basic channels?

raverx3m

Daemon Poster
I tried to read this but have no fn clue what they are talking about its too technical

Commission Relaxes The Cable Encryption Prohibition | FCC.gov

FCC allows cable operators to encrypt basic cable TV signals - CNET

im trying to figure out if its illegal for Comcast to scramble the basic channels that are available over the air. they keep offering the stupid box that makes over the air hd channels into 480p resolution and sound quality sucks ass. we had the box for about 6 months and then I went and got a 40 dollar antenna.
buti would like to have those basic channels over cable so theres no weather effects on reception... im not interested in any of the baller status channels they have

because the tv sales guy said its not legal for they to force people to use the set top box to view the channels that are free over the air

Well technically if you are hooked up to that coax which is hooked up to their system, then they can do whatever they want. Regardless of morality on the situation.

that's what im trying to figure out because it seems like fcc was regulating the availability of basic channels but now it looks a lot more complicated with all this tech talk in the article. it seems like fcc still requires basic channels to be available free of charge without their box but Comcast is just keeping it quiet. but I don't understand it enough lol

It's right in the introduction.

If a cable operator
decides to encrypt the digital basic tier, then these subscribers will need equipment to continue viewing
the channels on this tier

Also in the first paragraph of the Discussion article.

allowing all-digital cable operators to encrypt
the basic service tier, we amend our rule to permit this practice as long as the cable operator complies
with certain consumer protection measures

Basically you're boned. If you have TWC in your area I suggest jumping ship. I can hook my TV to my wall and get basic, but it isn't local channels.

Comcast is the best service we get here in seattle. the competition is fn lame its not even fair competition. its like Shasta cola and real coca cola.

Comcast is pretty much a monopoly but its riding under radar because of the other decoy "competitors"

Comcast is getting big... and service is ****ty but internet connection is good.. they own most of the interwebs here

If you want free, get an antenna, and get over it.
That true....
and if you want decent reception you'll need something more than a cheesy $40. antennae. When I had over the air tv, I had a large enough antennae to pick up from over 60 miles away, which was a $300. rotatory antennae mounted on the roof with an amplifier

They want to buy TWC to become a monopoly. I hope they don't, because then I'll be ****ed because there is no way I'll use Comcast.
As part of Comcast's bid to buy TWC, they're making TWC sell the southeastern-Wisconsin market to Charter :)mad:). They announced by the end of 2015, all TWC customers in SE-Wisconsin will become Charter subscribers. So, regardless, I'm getting screwed in this deal... :annoyed:

Back
Top Bottom