Do you backup?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes I backup both at home and at the office.
My philosophy is that if it can't be reinstalled from a disc it needs to be backed up to CD or DVD.

Yes I've lost data. When I had been at my current job for less than a year we had an electrical surge fry the motherboard, hard drive, and a few other components on a fairly critical computer. Thankfully we perform incremental backups at the end of each day on the critical data, but we did lose a bunch of spreadsheets and document templates.

Also about a year ago we had a hard drive start to fail, but it still functioned enough for me to retrieve all of the data that wasn't already backed up before it failed completely.

I lost all my English coursework when my HDD caught on fire. Other than that I haven't lost anything. Luckily I didn't need it any more and the hard copies were fine.

Backups are done through FTP to my (unused) site with read disabled so no one can take it. USb pen for transport to school. All media (ripped CD's etc.) is backed up to other computer along with any large file back ups.

LOL @ Harper's post. That's too funny.
I do pretty much the same, but I don't back up/ghost my main drive. I email myself lots of stuff and store things all over the place. My entire pr0n collection, yes all 2.3 GB is copied to two yes two other computers, one of which does get ghosted. All my important docs and pics are burned to CD, and emailed to one of my various web based email accounts. I have copies of all games, music CD's, programs, etc. I fear no crash. Now that I have said that, I'll go home to a dead PC....

I am currently waiting for SATA 500 Gb Hard Drives to come down in price. After that I might purchase 4 of them and set up a 2 Drive Mirrors.
My boss keep going on and on about RAID5, but I really trust that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom