Disk Defragment and PC performance

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know...i defrag whenever i feel like it....usually at night when im sleeping...it just makes sense

Esine is right, with a good OS you shouldnt have to defrag anymore.

Defragging was for 95 and 98 when software was buggy, i really dont think it helped then eaither.

It is just one of those tools that m$ wants you to think helps, in all reality it doesnt.

But yes, that would be a halarious SNL.

Did he mention anything about a OS? He's talking about ATA100....Not Microsoft ATA 100 :p

Whoa! Not true at all!
With NTFS you certainly have to defragment......let me get a pic....
Ok, got it.
NTFS still writes data to a hard drive in a random order. It doesn't write data to the drive in sequence. In fact, it's the best FS out there given ANY OS but it's not perfect. We sell this to clients and won't support them otherwise. It really depends on what you are doing with the PC or whatever you are using. I have a laptop that sits in my apartment all day and records music from a live braodcast and a places it on a MiniDisc......it doesn't need to be defrag but once every month. However, my work laptop, I am constanstly writing and removing DBs at at least 100MB at a time and a week goes by and it looks and acts like crap again. I'm not saying it 100% necessary, but it does improve the performance.
Oh and newer versions of DiskKeeper do minimal damage to the HD elements.

BTW, I just defragged this drive 4 days ago.....I move data in and out on this partition quickly!

-Mike

With gaming you may not. Are you gaming online? If so, gaming online is usually bandwidth as not as much hard disk movement.

A rule of thumb:

Hard Drives to this day write data in non-sequential formats.
RAM: Even though it stands for Random Access Memory writes data in a secquential format, giving the data next in line the next available memory address for temp storage

mikesgroovin I looked at that gif you linked and noticed you were using diskeeper pro... is this better than win xps standard defragging util? If so I may consider buying this software!

Yes it is. I can give you a couple reasons:

1) You can perform a boot defrag, unlike a regular defrag, this will actually consolidate your folders, systems files, NFT AND your pagefile!

2) It uses a system authority rather than a local user authority, so it can defrag system files as they are being used! Unlike ANY windows defrag utility.

-Mike

the first and LAST time i used diskKeeper it partially physically damaged my maxtor 120GB hard disk. what happened is DiskKeeper caused the hard disk to endlessly loop in some psychotic seeking/ reading operation for a few minutes. the hard disk became excessively slow immediately afterwards.

the hard disk would than run normally for a few minutes after bootup and run like molasses if i try to open a file. re-installing winXP pro did nothing so i knew it was not a software problem. Disk Keeper also would lock up or just end abruptly for no reason. winXP defragmenter runs much better and takes about the same time to defrag as DiskKiller

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom