Disk Defragment and PC performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

In Runtime
How often do you people defragment?

I try to do mine at least once a week and everytime I install a new piece of software to help my PC run smoothly.

I also try to minimize the amount of shortcuts I have on my desktop and in the icon tray, as well as having a blank background instead of a graphic on the desktop. I regularly clear out the recently accessed documents in the start menu and I was wondering whether anyone else has got any tips for optimizing PC performance, especially on start up?

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

Retro said:
How often do you people defragment?

I try to do mine at least once a week and everytime I install a new piece of software to help my PC run smoothly.

I also try to minimize the amount of shortcuts I have on my desktop and in the icon tray, as well as having a blank background instead of a graphic on the desktop. I regularly clear out the recently accessed documents in the start menu and I was wondering whether anyone else has got any tips for optimizing PC performance, especially on start up?

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

I'm thinking this would make a good segment on Saturday Night Live.....

"Welcome to the Anal Retentive Computer Guy Show with your host Retro"!!!!

I'm just teasing Retro. I think defragging once a week is a little excessive but hey, if you've got the time, I guess there's no such thing as too much defragging!!

My only advice on optimizing your performance would be to upgrade your system.

If you do it often enough (once a week) it takes about 5 minutes, it just saves the hassle of having to wait for it to do it for over an hour or so as a result of doing it infrequently.

My system is new and I only defragment oncr a month,but I also have a P1 system but I don"t have to defragment every week.

The only time that I seem to defrag is when I have down some rather large uninstalling or file moving.

with NTFS and ATA100 defragmenting is pretty much obsolete. i do it less than 5 times a year, never have had any slowdowns....but i also use Ghost and restore once a month....or more :rolleyes:

Esine is right, with a good OS you shouldnt have to defrag anymore.

Defragging was for 95 and 98 when software was buggy, i really dont think it helped then eaither.

It is just one of those tools that m$ wants you to think helps, in all reality it doesnt.

But yes, that would be a halarious SNL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom