"Digital Output Only"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
My brother's birthday was today and he got some new computer speakers. He had some trouble getting them to work, and when I went up to take a look at them I knew immediately why. After a while, I could finally find the setting I wanted. It's called Digital Output Only, and it has a checkbox next to it. On his computer, beneath "volume control" in the volume adjustment screen, there is a button that says advanced. After clicking on it, I remember seeing that option for Digital Output Only. Now, when I originally hooked up my home stereo to my computer, I had to adjust that setting too, so I KNOW it was on my computer. However, out of curiosity I was trying to find that setting on this computer (again) yet I couldn't find it. Now, I'm actually downright baffled I can't find it. Could anybody clear this up, or possibly tell me if their digital output only option is listed? If you have it, could you give me a lead? Ex- Start > Program Files > Mozilla, etc.

It depends on the Sounds Card. What kind of card does he have?
Is the sound playing at all? Do you have digital or analog speakers?

bradybnmci said:
It depends on the Sounds Card. What kind of card does he have?
Is the sound playing at all? Do you have digital or analog speakers?

Oh f*ck what you just said completely sparked something.

The computer he has now, I USED to have. When I had it, that's when my speakers died and I decided to hook up my home stereo system. Man, I only had it rigged like that for about 2 weeks before I got my new computer and rigged it up.

He has a sound card (pci) in that computer (my old one). My new computer has onboard sound that I use. Sh*t, I didn't even think of that. So, what would this mean then? Do systems with onboard sound not have that capability (or need for that capability)????

Newer onboard sound should be digital only. Sound cards such as the Prodigy Live or whatever will have that "digital output" option b/c they can also handle analog output... The best way to test is by hooking up digital speakers, then hooking up analog speakers and see which plays.

bradybnmci said:
Newer onboard sound should be digital only. Sound cards such as the Prodigy Live or whatever will have that "digital output" option b/c they can also handle analog output... The best way to test is by hooking up digital speakers, then hooking up analog speakers and see which plays.

That makes sense, especially considering that other computer is **** near 6 years old. I suppose not having analog doesn't put me at a loss though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom