depression

Status
Not open for further replies.

molsen

Do work.
I have to rant a little and then I have a few questions, if that's okay....

I am going to the doctor on Monday for severe depression and I really want to get better. It's ruining my college GPA and relationships with friends. It's keeping me from living my life how I should.

I make all the time in the world for my interests... music, computers, learning about science/philosophy/etc. But I can't make the time to study and attend class anymore. I can't sleep at night because I'm thinking about everything that I regret and f*cked up. Then I don't want to wake up in the morning because all I can think about is how hopeless my future is and how little I want to face the day.

I hate the way I'm acting and thinking and wish I could just make myself do otherwise. But I've been trying this for a couple years and I think it's time to see a doctor for it.

Have you or anyone you know suffered from depression or is currently?

What kind(or brand) of medication did he/she/you take?
What side effects/experiences did he/she/you have with tis?

Did he/she/you opt for psychological counseling instead?
A combination of both?

thanks for the help

Yeah my mum has depression, she goes in and out of phases every few years, although it isn't bipolar depression. She was given some antidepressants of some sort but I'm not sure what. They do work, and have no serious side effects as far as I know. She also had counselling when she was younger but that didn't help.

Depression can be effectively treated in 80% of cases. Going to the doctor was a good move since it is a condition that can be easily controlled.

As with any condition you are suffering from, you should learn as much about it as possible. There is a good article here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clinical_depression

I've gone through it before. Didn't take anything or tell anyone which is generally what they say NOT to do lol. This was all during the normal teenage angst years of 13-17 then started to get better at 18 and by now everything is all good. Sure theres things I don't particularly like about my life, but the difference is I don't get 'depressed' over it. I just acknowledge I dont like it and move on.

I've got it. It started at the end of my freshman year in highschool and I'm now a freshman in college. I did see a psycologist or whatever for a little bit but it didn't really help me all that much, so I stopped and now I'm pretty much working on it on my own.

mine said 10. "Regular dejection over the normal ups and downs in life" because at this point, I just dont worry about things as much. I still have things I worry about, just not as much. Also a lot of the questions were rather black and white and not all that applicable to me. I mean it was just basically You depressed? Yes/No

I haven't lost weight, I've gained it lol. I don't consider that as a result of depression though.

Just watch out though, dont let some online test tell you that you're depressed dude. Regardless if it may not be some 'fat guy with no life' it still doesn't know YOU.

Fix the things you can and accept the things you can't, theres an old religious saying that goes to that.

Life is life so live with it :D

13, some sadness but not clinical depression.

@Molsen, not to sound like a after school special, but you are taking the first step in helping "yourself". Realizing you have an issue and seeking out a legitimate means of fixing it.

First of all, depression isn't something we can turn on and off. There isn't a control for emotions like many people might suggest. Emotional issues can only be helped with proper therapy. There is absolutely "NOTHING" wrong with seeing a Dr. for these issues. Actually it is totally "WRONG" not to see someone if you are experiencing emotional ailments, like depression. Many people try to cope with these ailments on their own and continue to fail miserably. They turn to drug, alcohol or just shut themselves off from the world around them. This is counter productive and will certainly cause more harm.

On a personal level, I have "Anxiety Disorder and Panic Attacks" In the last year or so these ailments have really increased for me due to several ongoing issues in my life.

I have been seeing a doctor now for a few months and I'm actually starting to feel a lot better. You can't expect results right away. IT can take as much as 10+ visits before you actually start feeling comforable with your doctor. Once you do feel comfortable, you can really open up and get a lot of stuff out... This is the key. Releasing all of the thoughs and emotions that you are subconciously retaining. If the Dr. prescribes you medication, take it, but be very cautious. Medications react very, very differently with everyone. It took me 5 medications before I found one that was right for me. So if you don't like it, tell your Dr. you want something else.

Focus yourself on dealing with this issue and stay positive. If you follow what i've said above, you will get through this.

GL.

003, depression is often situational or triggered by anxiety. it can last for a week or years. if you think you're depressed go see a doctor and let him/her ask you the questions to determine what's up.

thanks for the words, HAVOC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom