Definition of stupid.

They are now trying to say water doesn't conduct electricity.

And they would technically be correct.

Water itself doesn't conduct electricity (distilled water, meaning free of any impurities). It's the minerals and impurities in water that conduct the electricity; the water molecules on the other hand, do not. So in terms of physics/chemistry...they are correct, as long as the water is distilled / free of impurities and minerals.

Dump distilled water on your PC. Please feel free to tell us what happens.
I know the science behind it, but the problem is there is no such thing as completely pure water.

The discussion came up because somebody posted the stupid guys with the flip flops holding the surge protector in the pool. Somebody said they are ok. It went from that to saying water doesn't conduct electricity. If they dumped that thing in the water, they wouldn't be ok.

Dump distilled water on your PC. Please feel free to tell us what happens.
I know the science behind it, but the problem is there is no such thing as completely pure water.
Not saying it's completely pure. It will still have some minerals that will short the board, yes, but it's not as conductive as regular water. That's also why I qualified my statement with "distilled / free of minerals and impurities."

The discussion came up because somebody posted the stupid guys with the flip flops holding the surge protector in the pool. Somebody said they are ok. It went from that to saying water doesn't conduct electricity. If they dumped that thing in the water, they wouldn't be ok.

Context is the key. You just stated your thoughts without giving context ;).

Not saying it's completely pure. It will still have some minerals that will short the board, yes, but it's not as conductive as regular water. That's also why I qualified my statement with "distilled / free of minerals and impurities."

Context is the key. You just stated your thoughts without giving context ;).
No I stated exactly what they said. Pool with surge protector, pool the key word here. The response "they are technically ok, water doesn't conduct electricity". Pool, doesn't conduct. Pool water isn't pure, and there isn't any "pure" water.

Still though, although technically it's correct it's still wrong. The same person "backed" their statement up of a video that proves that there are no non-conductive cooling solutions for PC. Wait....wut.

The whole point of this thread was laughs on their stupidity. Of which I have shown quite a few times already. The water thing just cracks me up though. Pool, scientific fact about "pure" water, uhh...pool, backs statement up with video disproving non-conductive liquids for PC. Which BTW, he dumped some distilled water on a running PC and it froze because it shorted.

Edit: I'm pretty sure TJ was running distilled in his water loop, maybe he can tell you about how distilled water doesn't conduct lol. I think the thing to really say here is, it's a poor conductor.

No I stated exactly what they said. Pool with surge protector, pool the key word here. The response "they are technically ok, water doesn't conduct electricity". Pool, doesn't conduct. Pool water isn't pure, and there isn't any "pure" water.

I was talking about your first comment when you just said

That's what I was referring to when I said you provided no context.

Edit: I'm pretty sure TJ was running distilled in his water loop, maybe he can tell you about how distilled water doesn't conduct lol. I think the thing to really say here is, it's a poor conductor.

I thought distilled water is what get's put in loops normally? Or is it something else (i.e. special "non-conductive" liquid that's not mineral oil)? Can't say I've done any watercooling, nor researched into it, so I don't know.

There are many non-conductive solutions that are pre-mixed that you can buy. The most popular loop liquids are glycol and distilled water. I run a mixture of distilled and alcohol.

And they would technically be correct.

Water itself doesn't conduct electricity (distilled water, meaning free of any impurities). It's the minerals and impurities in water that conduct the electricity; the water molecules on the other hand, do not. So in terms of physics/chemistry...they are correct, as long as the water is distilled / free of impurities and minerals.

So do you mean that all impurities contain ions ???

Speaking of water I'll do you one better. I had a guy in my physics class ask our professor in complete honesty and with a cocky attitude why water didn't boil in our bodies when we have a high fever (like 104 degrees Fahrenheit) if water's boiling point is measured at 100 degrees Celsius.

Back
Top Bottom