Credit Card Fraud!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jorsoft

Fully Optimized
So I just got the call that some piece of **** tried to use my debit card at several gas stations in Mexico. He/she made several attempts and most were declined but he did get away with roughly $110 in charges that may or may not go through. If they do go through I get to file a police report (Fun!) and take it to my credit union to prove them as fraudulent. . My card has been deactivated since the attempts and I have to drive to Maplewood (30-40 mins) tomorrow to get a new one so I'll be scraping by on cash until then. Not the biggest example of fraud in the world but it ****ed me off just the same. Good thing it was all caught and accounted for, too. I still feel violated and not in that fun dirty way. Anybody have any stories better than mine?

That happened to my cousin once. I think the guy racked up a ton of charges too, although I don't believe my cousin had to pay for them. I don't really remember all the details because I was like 10 years old at the time probably.

It also happened to my parents. Now whenever we make bigger purchases (EX: new furniture) it sends up a red flag and the credit card company calls us to verify that we made the purchase.

Sucks dude...****es me off how dishonest some people are.

How did he get your card? Also cant they just mail you a new one? This is also why i prefer actual credit cards rather than debit cards, as its much easier to have them reverse the charges. I actually had Discover card disable my card while i was on thanksgiving holiday at my parents house because i racked up 600+ in purchases 1200 miles from my billing adress. Had to call them up to verify the purchases so they'd turn it back on.

How did he get your card? Also cant they just mail you a new one?

Probably a database hack or something. I have my card so he was apparently using a counterfeit one he would have created himself. Some company's transaction histories probly got hacked, the info was posted/sold online, and this chump made a phony card. They know he had a card because these were all swiped transactions, plus he tried to withdraw cash at an ATM. I used to work at a Circuit City and I've had to deal with phony card transactions like that. It's not too difficult to make a decent looking card

And no, they can't mail me a new card. They require that to be done in person. I think that's been a standard thing for a while now since Identity Theft went up so much. I'll be switching to credit card only for my online purchases now just to keep it safe. I can't have people like this touching my money when I can just dispute the charges instead. Visa doesn't mess around--they're real security nazis.

****, This has to be a classic.

Did you use one of them little cash points in a bar / restraunt recently? There was a story over here not long ago about how some one figured out how to record all the data from a card. I have no idea how it was carried out.

Think I got you topped. This happened to me just this august. I was at my local hobby store and made a purchase on my credit card. Less than $200 bucks. I went a few days later to purchase a battery charger for a buddy of mine and got denied. The item was less than $50 bucks and I had plenty of room on the card. I proceeded to call the CC company to ask why I was declined. It appeared someone had gotten a hold of my account info. changed my billing address and was able to make 2 purchases. One at b&* photo (not sure if I can post the business names) and another at Bu**erfl* photo. The first charge was for $1500 bucks and the other was for $1200 bucks. Well fortunately I was able to get them taken off. Well at least one was returned by the first business. Still waiting for the second charge to come off. But anyways after affidavit was filed and the hassle of getting a replacement card all seems to be better. I found that the best thing to do is to set a password with your CC company so anyone who calls in must use the pass to make any changes. Also check often your statements to make sure you aren't the victim of something like this.

Sadly unless it's for LARGE amounts of money they deem it unnecessary / not worth there time so they don't do it.

I know anytime i call my CC company they ask me for at least 3 different questions to verify my identity. Someone either got really lucky, or was stalking you to get your info to change the billing address. Or your CC company needs to up its security. What company was it btw.

I know anytime i call my CC company they ask me for at least 3 different questions to verify my identity. Someone either got really lucky, or was stalking you to get your info to change the billing address. Or your CC company needs to up its security. What company was it btw.

It was wamu. They ask all those questions now. Not a biggie besides the hassle and the embarrassment of it looking like I was over limit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom