cpu-Z specs... time to upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

snif innards

Solid State Member
I know this isn't much, but what kind of grade and price would you give a system with these cpu-Z specs (the tabs work)?

the system also has a Geforce4 pny 4200ti, 80gig ide 7200 rpm hd and a cd burner.

time to upgrade?

will the 7800gt work in a standard pci slot, or would it have to be a express x16? Actullay, whats the diff?

PCI-E and PCI are completely different. so is AGP.
you won't be able to use a 7800 GT unless they make an AGP version of it.

PCI is an older slot, still widely used but not by graphics cards. that's because it is just too slow for them. but it's fine for things like network cards, modems and such.

AGP was made because PCI was too slow for graphics cards. it is made for graphics cards only and is a lot faster than PCI. AGP comes in 1X, 2X, 4X and 8X. you can use 8X and 4X cards in 8X and 4X slots, you can use 2X cards in 2X slots, and 1X cards in 1X slots.

PCI-E is the next slot designed to replace both PCI and AGP.
currently, there are 1X, 4X and 16X slots. these speeds are not the same as AGP speeds. PCI-E is one or more serial connections to the card. with one lane going each way on a 1X slot, 4 lanes going each way on a 4X slot, and 16 lanes going each way on a 16X slot.
each lane gets 2.5GB/S each way (5GB/S both ways), a 16X lane getting 40GB/S wach way (80GB/S both ways) compared to AGP speeds which are as follows:
AGP 1X = 266MB/S
AGP 2X = 533MB/S
AGP 4X = 1066MB/S (1.1GB/S)
AGP 8X = 2133MB/S (2.1GB/S)

I would upgrade if I were you. If it was an A64 at those speeds I'd say you were fine but a Pentium at those speeds is really slow.

snif innards said:
I know this isn't much, but what kind of grade and price would you give a system with these cpu-Z specs (the tabs work)?

the system also has a Geforce4 pny 4200ti, 80gig ide 7200 rpm hd and a cd burner.

time to upgrade?

First off what do you use the PC for?

Re: Re: cpu-Z specs... time to upgrade?

DJ-CHRIS said:
First off what do you use the PC for?

half the time its photoshop, dreamweaver, flash and visual studio. have at least 3 of those programs running at once. and the other half is counter-strike source -if i upgrade my video card then i would be playing bf2.

*apokalipse: thanks for the informative post.

Well than their's no reason to really upgrade unless for BF2. If you think your processor is strong enough for BF2 (Should be) you may want to consider getting a 6600GT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom