Corporate exec pay...

Status
Not open for further replies.

atomic tofu

Fully Optimized
me being an MS fan...
Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer make about $300k a year at MS, not including bonuses that might push them to $600-$900k (900k for Bill from his other companies). I don't discount their stock holding, which put them above many others...but what they are worth, and what they actually have are very different.

Let's say Bill is worth $50bil and Steve, $30bil (just guessing on Steve)

Now, this may just be for people who dislike Microsoft, Windows and Bill and co.

The most overpaid CEOs in America - MSN Money

Last time I read on Bill's ranking, he was something like number 300, getting paid $320k or so. And there were people getting actually dollar amounts of $12-35 million. This was about 2 years ago.

Who would you rather be supporting? The people who take a lot out of their companies to pad themselves, or the people who don't and give it back to employees and other causes I won't get into?

-----
The following are comments about Microsoft and illustrate which side you may fall on, but you don't have to side with either
-----------------------------------------------

Posted by Entanglement at 5/19/06 12:53 p.m.

They just don't get it. The initiative name of MyMicrosoft – conceded and inappropriate and it's a sign of desperation.

As an x-employee for a dozen years, pouring more lost money down the R&D hole is a complete waste. One good idea is worth more then a billion dollars. Microsoft has a bad reputation for stealing ideas and lacking creativity. Their R&D department is more worried about how many patents they file, and how many conventions they dominate, and how many reports they publish. Innovation – huh – what's that? In there irrational rush to farm out the R&D to other countries by opening labs outside the US, it shows that if you keep opening labs, maybe no one will notice that nothing is really going on back home. The idea should be to concentrate on hiring creative people, not just smart people. Stop exporting work to India and China. Think USA. This country was not built on export money and importing ideas.

MS still has a window of opportunity to rectify its bad reputation of not being an innovative company, but it truly needs to get back to fundamentals. Providing convenience stores and other perks are tiny patches on it fractures. You can't keep relying on your clout and money. R&D is a long term investment for a company that provides the foundation and they are severely disorganized and extremely ineffective.

The person that came up with taking away the towels should be fired.

And mister Gates, if you weren't so worried about giving your billions to Africa with your foundation, you could easily provide free meals for your employees. Take care of America first.

-
Posted by number.61 at 5/19/06 3:02 p.m.

Entanglement - as an ex-microsoft employee myself, where the heck do you get off!

Calling out Bill Gates on giving billions of dollars to Africa, other third world countries, and schools where they actually NEED the money. Instead you want all that money to feed a fat developer that sits in his apartment next to campus watching movies, tv on a nice plasma TV, bringing in a very LARGE paycheck every two weeks. Yeah sure, FTE employees at microsoft really need a free meal. Get off your high red, white, and blue horse. I've lost my job to outsourcing a few times, but have never had a problem finding something new and exciting! Those countries could use a nice tech boom like we had in the 90's. It's called spreading the wealth so everybody can live a good life!

Personally I felt Microsoft treated it's employees great. Paying medical for everybody and their families, it's hard to find companies that do that. Providing their products to their employees at bargin prices. Us regular people have to pay over $300 for Office Pro, where employees only have to pay 50 to 60 bucks.

Microsoft treats their employees well enough for the pay checks that put in the bank. I was shocked to learn that PSS employees - these are call center jobs earn roughly 80k a year!

Stop complaining.
----------------

EDIT: here's where I got the comments from, you can read to if you'd like. I only provide now because I am reading more of "entanglements" comments. And they are truly strange views, to me at least. You might whole heartedly agree with him/her :D
Microsoft rethinks employee reviews ... and towels

Thats interesting, you know I always thought bill gates got paid a lot more than that maybe I just assumed that because of what he is worth. It does sound like they treat there employees good and that is always a plus. I don't think I have really ever had anything against M$ as a company though.

wow, i assumed bill was paid at least 700K before gettin' a bonus.

never had a problem with M$ either, cept for pricing here and there (office). but hey when you own the market share they do pricing get's all f'd up.

Steve Jobs makes 1 dollar a year, right? And he's worth around 8 Billion?

These rich guys don't make it through working like that, most of their money comes from their stock in the company, likes back in the dot-com era when Microsofts stock shot up making Bill worth over 100 Billion.

like I said, there's a big difference between the people who are worth a whole lot and the people who actually get paid a whole lot.

Bill would only have as much money as he's worth, if he sells his shares, which he doesn't really do.

Who would you rather be? The guy who actually gets paid $30million actual dollars and also has bonuses, or the guy who gets paid $300k but is worth $50 billion?

Then if you were a stock holder, which type of exec do you want? Not sure shareholders have a say how people are paid, I don't get into any of that stuff ;)

But it's like a show I saw once on the Yahoo guys. They started yahoo, it became a super star and each guy was WORTH $200 million. They then went out and bought things that only totalled to maybe around $5 mil...they didn't sell any shares to make extra actual dollars. Then one day the value dropped....and they were only worth $2mil. So they ended up losing all the riches they had, because they couldn't actually afford it.

It was a very interesting thing to learn how the world works and is one reason I keep supporting MS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom