Computer Clocks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emily

Daemon Poster
Ok, it just occurred to me that I have no idea how computer clocks work, and it's really bothering me. Anyone know?

I'm guessing you're refering to the "real-time clock"?
It is set in the bios/cmos section of the computer and is kept running by the cmos battery.
As far as how it "tells time", there is a crystal on the board that sets up the "time base" and associated components to divide it down/multiply it up. (Whichever way they do it)
I'm sure there is a more detailed explanation available somewhere.

If I find a link to more details, I'll post it.

the clock, well real time clock on the board, is acually a crystal, and it beats at a predetermined setting, and that beat keeps all the bus's and info flowing at one set speed, basiccly a keper of the beat. lol

like a drumer in a badn that has to keep the rest of the band in tempo so that it sounds right

I have a question... ok I don't think computers can generate REAL random numbers. what it does is to get the time and put it into some formula and generates values<1 that is evenly distributed. is it right?

lol

ya and he is the baddest bad ass out there, and your real time clock is the best one there is because it has the best beats around.

was that dum?

i think not, i am allowed to have some weird bits every now and then, i have paid my dues to this site i think.

Ches :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom