Company overcredited my account during refund...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alvin.C

Fully Optimized
Hello,

So, I'm in an interesting position...

Recently I purchased a laptop online. Unfortunately, the optical drive broke, and I had to request an RMA, and send it back. Recognising that it was faulty, they accepted my RMA request and gave me a refund...

...but the interesting thing is, they refunded me 5x the amount they actually were supposed to credit to my account.

They were supposed to refund me £388.93, but instead they refunded me £1944.65.

I'm in an ethical and possibly legal dilemma. I've researched on the net to find out the legalities of 'companies overcrediting' customers accidentally, and 'overpayments', but my research has drawn vague and contradictory information. I suppose that's how law is.

What I want to know is, does the company have the right to demand that I pay the amount back? And what can the company do if they discover that they have overcredited a customer? What are the legal implications, if any?

The way I understand it, if a till operater gave you too much change at the checkout of a supermarket, and it's already in your possession, the cashier does not have the right to demand for you to give the overcredited amount, if and when he/she identifies the mistake. Much the same way that a customer, when underchanged at a till, cannot return to the till and demand for the correct amount of change be given when the transaction has ended and the customer has already left the till. However, information suggests that by law, one who has mistakenly made an overpayment has the right to recover that amount.

Some appropriate law material I've been reading:

Restitution: Restitution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Unjust Enrichment: Unjust enrichment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Overpayment (Lemon & Co Solicitors): Overpayment – Can I Keep the Payment?

I'd also like to know what you think should be done.

Just hold on to it, see what happens for now. If you have a lawyer friend ask them or keep asking around for an expert. Maybe put it in an ING account and let it collect interest, They definitly can go **** off if they demand that too.

I'm not even sure what country you live in, but here it can easily go both ways. Judges usually go against the A-hole in my experience.

I would report it. If they find out the problem and ask for it back and you don't have it could become ugly. (I don't know if they will have any legal action though) If you report, you never know they might reward you in a way for your honesty and you'll probably be safer off.

Report it. If they have decent accounting system, they will find it eventually. There is a major paper trail there. (Assuming this wasn't a cash transaction.)

If it was a cash transaction, I might not be so inclined to report it. Cash leaves very little evidence unless it's marked bills.

Ah... do what seems right to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom