Comcast Cable Box Settings?

mikeyg3733

Beta member
Hello. I am new to Techist, so I hope I am in the right section. I have the following question regarding resolution settings on Comcast cable boxes. I came here because I had no luck posting on other forums.

As many Comcast customers know, a Comcast cable box will output 480i with a cable connection from the box to a tv, and will have the options 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, and 1080p60 when connected to a television via HDMI.

My question is, why are 480i and 1080i even options anymore? To my knowledge, if something is not recorded and transmitted as progressive it will play interlaced anyway. Which is fine, but why choose 1080i over 1080p60? Why take a progressive program and force it to be shown interlaced? Also, why is 1080p60 the only option with 60 (indicating 60 fps). Do the other options not output 60 fps? I know I've asked a lot here. Any input would be appreciated!

Compatibility, I would assume. Not everybody has the latest/greatest TV's. And for cable boxes, they want to make sure compatibility is key so they can get $ from customers without complaints of having to buy a new TV.

Back
Top Bottom