college stress

Status
Not open for further replies.

wafflehammer

Fully Optimized
It's killing me and I haven't even started.

About a month ago I mail in my $200 deposit and documents/application for the dorms. I go in on the 25th of june for my orientation. First thing I find out, there is a hold on my housing so I have to go talk to some people in the office. Go there to find out they have my deposit but NONE of my forms. Now I don't see how that's possible considering it was like 5 papers, folded in half..then folded in half again...with the check in the middle. How do you get this check but none of the forms?! So I have to fill out another 5 forms in like 3 minutes because I'm being rushed. This is the start of the issues with this :|

Couple days ago I receive a letter telling me what dorms I'm being housed in. It says I'm being housed in blah blah blah. Which isn't where I wanted. I wanted in the new freshmen dorms they just finished building. No big difference..just makes me mad because of the principle I didn't get in because they lost my stuff. So I e-mail the housing department. Woman tells me I was in the overflow because my forms where turned in late. I explained that I sent them in and questioned how they got the check but not the forms. She tells me I was only missing one form even though they told me before they had none. Yep...changing stories already. I then tell her I sent them in and someone lost it. She gives me a big bs story that she remembers mine personally and she handled it blah blah blah (uhm k...2200 freshman and you remember mine personally? sure). This was solved after a bit of pointing out that it's unfair that I'm being shafted because they lost it..she said she'll put me at the top of the waiting list for the new dorms :|

Now today more issues. I get my ID/debit card in the mail. I try to activate it. To my surprise it says my information doesn't match their system. After trying it to the point that it locks me out I give customer service a call. They tell me that the college sent them the wrong social security number and that I need to call the campus office and have them send them the right one. So I call the campus office. Man tells me that they do have the wrong one and that I have to come in to have it validated. Not to bad...2 hour drive just to tell them they are morons. How on earth did I get this far if they have my wrong social security number? They have it on the forms they lost, the new forms, and countless other things....It has to be in their system at least 20 times by now...so how did they manage to send them the wrong one?

This is killing me...2 more months till I even start class and I've been hit with nothing but brick walls :|

Is this normal? Or am I just hitting a huge unlucky streak?

I would say a little bit of both man haha. I had a lot of issues with the housing dpt when I first started school also. They are probably really under staffed. I think you just got a little unlucky is all... everyone around you gets there stuff done like butter but not you. Sorry waffle hope things look up!

Your story sucks. Not because of you but because you have be caught on the bad end of the stick. Looks like a few times.

Honestly, this probably isn't the first time you've gotten the bad end of the stick and TRUST me it will not be the last. Some people are more prone to getting it and some people luck out every time. I've found that the old saying, "When it rains, it pours..." is very true. When one thing goes wrong, you can expect a bunch more to follow suit.

I could add a ton of my own experiences, but I wouldn't want to hijack your thread.

Everyone gets screwed over with housing or classes or books at some point... you're just getting yours out of the way early ;)

Your situation sucks, but it happens... not much you can do about it. Just wait until there's a class you HAVE to take as a prereq, yet you can't get into it.

Or when you wait to buy books for a class because you want to make sure you get the right ones... you ask the professor, then show them to the professor while they're still returnable to double check, then a month later you're told the online edition is mandatory and paper copies don't have everything you need.

It's not going to matter. You'll get placed in a dorm on a floor with a bunch of guys and you'll be glad you got put there. When you get screwed in a class, you'll have a story to tell the guys. When you spend $100 on a book you don't end up using, think about all the free food there is all over campus and consider how much money you saved from that.

Everyone gets screwed over with housing or classes or books at some point... you're just getting yours out of the way early ;)

Your situation sucks, but it happens... not much you can do about it. Just wait until there's a class you HAVE to take as a prereq, yet you can't get into it.

Or when you wait to buy books for a class because you want to make sure you get the right ones... you ask the professor, then show them to the professor while they're still returnable to double check, then a month later you're told the online edition is mandatory and paper copies don't have everything you need.

It's not going to matter. You'll get placed in a dorm on a floor with a bunch of guys and you'll be glad you got put there. When you get screwed in a class, you'll have a story to tell the guys. When you spend $100 on a book you don't end up using, think about all the free food there is all over campus and consider how much money you saved from that.

free food? i have a mandatory meal plan that's like $1500 a year lol :p all freshman have to have it. And book buying won't happen for another month at least...so hopefully my luck will change before then :\

people feel free to hijack :\ might make me feel a little better(not in a rude " ha ha i wanna laugh at your misery" way either lol).

Just wait til you have classes and you go through this trying to sort out grades. Is it a state-run university? If so, that probably answers your questions. I had nothing but issues every single semester through all years of my higher education. It's just that people don't give a **** and are just there for the 9-5 (the people employed by the university/college).

Going to college online FTW!!! Honestly, I still got screwed over while doing that, too. My academic adviser left the school at some point (don't really know when)... I found out about it when I didn't have any new classes scheduled. Dude had set me up for several months worth, but no one had bothered to pick it up after he left.

I also got screwed financially a few times, but one was my own fault. My employer paid for my courses, but I had to register them with the third-party company that handled it. I registered two classes, and then when it rolled around again I did the next class (which I had already done). They deleted the duplication, but I had it in my mind I had already registered a class. When the next one rolled around I didn't register it, and didn't realize it until after the deadline had passed. That $1500 had to come out of the money I had borrowed to cover books and my own pocket.

Just wait until you have to pay back your loans. I've got like $8500 ( not much compared to most) but have no job. Payments are supposed to begin in the middle of August. I m going to be calling Sallie Mae up shortly and seeing about putting it off until I find a job. :(

Just wait until you have to pay back your loans. I've got like $8500 ( not much compared to most) but have no job. Payments are supposed to begin in the middle of August. I m going to be calling Sallie Mae up shortly and seeing about putting it off until I find a job. :(

scholarships and grants ...i'm a lucky person. Books are the only thing I will have to buy( and probably get refund money to spend on those anyway). So it's almost free for me..at least the first 4 years.

I'm sure in some way something will run out and I'll be screwed over though :\

jeez.. I just want it to start and get over with. I know it'll be a lot of fun...but the prep for it sucks

free food? i have a mandatory meal plan that's like $1500 a year lol :p all freshman have to have it. And book buying won't happen for another month at least...so hopefully my luck will change before then :\

people feel free to hijack :\ might make me feel a little better(not in a rude " ha ha i wanna laugh at your misery" way either lol).

Not talking about meal plans. Every college campus I've been on always has free food around. Organizations love to give out pizza or root beer floats when it's not cold out. Unless you're going to a <1500 people school, then probably not so much.

It's been my experience with college that most administrators are incompetent morons. I can't count the number of times I've been given the wrong forms, told to fill in the wrong info, been sent to different offices on campus for signatures I was told I wouldn't need or even for the wrong signatures, etc. I spent a whole day running between my community college and my four year with transcripts because the idiots at the admissions office (who you'd think would know this stuff) needed a transcript for my AP Tests I took back in high school but didn't know what to call it. It ranged from "We must not have gotten your college transcript" to "We need your high school transcript" to finally "It's called an AP Transcript (which it wasn't but whatever)". That's the side of college that can really suck and no one ever wants to help you out with it and they don't care when they get it wrong, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom