College: Laptop Vs. Desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I won't be spending every waking hour working, at least I hope I won't... Either way being able to game is a must and I'll just have to rely on my better judgement to make sure I get the work done instead of leveling up.

I considered getting a cheap laptop but figured it would be a lot of hassle and extra money for something I may not even need. Perhaps if a real need arises for one I could always buy one after school starts or next Summer.

BTW I did send an email to the college asking this vary question so a lot of my decision hangs on the reply.

DMo224 said:
Laptops can disappear in college dorms. I think they may sprout feet and walk away. I don't know of too many desktops that have done that, but I'm sure there's some.

Dave :D

ROFL!!!

Most collage or uni student that i deal with get a Entry Level Notebook. If not some thing second hand, somthing really basic like a :-

HP Compaq NX 9110 DY879PA#ABG
Intel Celeron 2.8Ghz (M), 256Mb DDR Ram, 40gb Hard Drive, CD-Rom, Floppy Drive, 15"TFT Active Display, 56K Fax/Modem, Ethernet, Windows xp Pro,

and then they scrapt together a resonable desktop computer for at home or dorm. Some thing like an AMD Athlon 2Ghz, 256Mb DDR Ram, 32Mb Video Card, 80gb Hard Drive, CDRW-Rom, Floppy Drive, Windows Xp

And to top it off, some thing like MS Office Student / Teacher Edition that comes with 3 CALS, and at a really good price.

im going into my third year of college and i think it depends on two things,
1: what is your major?
2: what school are you going to?
i am a computer science major and i would have died so far without my laptop, i bring it to the lab everytime there is a project due, everyone else from class is already there working, but i have the added bonus of being able to play my own mp3's and have access to anything else that i might need email clients etc, also my comp keeps working during those rare occasion when somthing goes wrong, i.e. 430AM when we had a storm and the server reset itself shutting down every terminal on campus, i still had everything that i had been working on, others had to work from their last save point

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom