chemistry consumes my life....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love how I get totally different answers to my grades orientation question:
Nubius said:
I can't believe a 67% is considered a C+. That's a D+ here.

Yeah, but you're comparing WAY different methods of teaching, cultures, countries, etc..etc.. Depends on the teachers though. Some teachers dont give you opportunities for that over 100 nonsense and some do.

My last math teacher did because of the curve. Made it so I'd wind up with 102% on a test and whatnot.

But yeah, that's primarily what it is, is teachers using a curve which winds up making the best kids in class have over 100%.
kaname said:
Two words - Grade Inflation.

Any retard can get A's nowadays that's why most Americans are retards. I only say this because I'm an American and I bartend where a lot of college students are, and believe me, some are complete morons, and that's when they're sober too. But then again, it could just be the state that I live in. New Mexico has one of the worst educational systems in the whole U.S. I think it ranks like 49th, right above Mississippi, or Alabama? In any case, Grade Inflation.
GameGURU said:
That's because there are some very bright American kids and we let them get that extra credit because they deserve it. We don't hold them back.

Anyways, how can you have a 67% in a class and get a C? That's definately a D and below average.

Nubius: Okay. High schools (at least public ones) in Ontario do NOT curve. No matter how low the marks of a class are. So our 67% C+ may be "similar" to your C+ wherever it lies in the 70s.

GameGURU: Why not just start from a much lower point of 'acceptable' grades so that instead of needing to climb over 100 to distinguish between the bright/hardworking and the super-bright/super-hardworking? That way, those 90s will already be considered the credit they deserve.

tommyboy123x said:
well in my chemistry class... i have a C. this is not good, well it is "average", but not in america anymore... and i cannot have C's and go to a decent college (which is part of the reason that $30,000 factoring program has been taking so long for me to finish - i need to bring up my grades :().

well my teacher is assigning us all a project to make a battery out of chemicals and elements and stuff. about 30 points extra credit for the best battery in the school (chemistry class... ~50 kids). I've searched the web for some ideas of how to make a killer battery, but if anyone has some good info, please post

cause i need to have a LITTLE cusion for the final!!!!!!!!!!

Make some of this for her http://www.masterbrian.com/2006/05/28/flash-powder-boom-part-1/

she will think you are a genius!

Heh, I remember HS Chemistry. Never had so much fun in my life. Then again, I used it as a study hall. Although most of you may just think I was some hardass kid who thought he'd be rebelous and ignore the teacher's commands, I tried as hard as I could during the first half of the semester.

You see, my HS went like this. Semester 1, Semester 2, final. I needed to pass 2/3 of those to pass the class. I knew I had no chance at the final, so I put hopes on passing each semester. Well, in the end 17 students failed. Four passed. Highest grade was a C.

The biggest turning point for me was when I was trying to understand the explanation to the class about some molecule transformations or something. It went way over my head, but I figured I'd ask her. All I did was get yelled at for not paying attention. I didn't know what to say because I had been paying attention and trying my damned hardest to get the jist of the material and just get chemistry over with. At that point the class got quiet, so I tore her a knew rear end. I can't remember how many times I dropped the F-bomb, but she more than deserved it. How DARE she tell me she won't help me, just refusing to even answer a simple question when I asked for sincere help.

That experience only amplified my negative views on the school system, especially in high school (at least my high school). I didn't want to go to Harvard or anything, I just wanted to pay my way through a tech school and be done with it. Sure enough, that's what I'm doing. :beard:

MrZucchiniHead said:
that's not really a curve, it's more like a 90 or 180 degree turn. if i had a 54% in anything i would die.

my science teacher sucks, 14 essays in 3 class days, i got a %36 and now i have a U in that class. im glad my parents understand cause i had a C+-b- everage in that class all the other times.

Most teachers do not use "true" curves, but my chemistry teacher certainly did.

A lot of times a "curve" will be set on the top student's score. Say if on a test the best anyone did was an 81 then that would be 100%.

My classes in heat transfer and fluid dynamics were two of the hardest classes I have ever taken. An average score of 30% or lower was common on midterms/quizzes. It was not because the students were dumb, its because the teachers made the tests that hard deliberately and then normalized everything in the end.

hey, sorry to bring this thread up again, but i felt apted to say what im doing...

im gonna use a mixture of penny/tin foil stacks, ice cube trays, and film canisters to produce the maximum amount of amerage and voltage. I think its measured by the whole thing together, so instead of E=IR, it'll be EMI=GRADE :p

the ice cube trays will be a series circuit, then the others will be paralell circuits (i think..). The only thing left to figure out is what chemicals to use (strong acids/bases are not allowed, including HCl), and how to connect the salt bridge :confused:

any ideas are welcome :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom