Cheap harddrives

Status
Not open for further replies.
BillGates said:
Show me some solid proof and I'll believe you. So far the only people in this thread dissing on Maxtor are the people that dont have them. notice all the people that do have them have nothing but good things to say.

Ive had 3 maxtors over the past 4 years and never had a single problem.....ever.

I own (Or have owned) many maxtor, Seagate, IBM and WD drives.

I only have one working maxtor to this day, and many other working WD and Seagate drives.

I fix's PC's on the side quite often, and the ONLY HD's i have seen failed are Maxtor.

I am a server admin, but this is a software roll and their's mac's.

I am a network admin of a PC network with about 100 PC's, maxtor drives fail the highest our of any drive.

I have a maxtor drive... it currently sits with its cover off as decoration. No it didn't fail because I took the cover off... it fails because the card is bad. It will startup, click, restart, click, restart. It just keeps restarting like a stalling engine.

Down with maxtor. Seagate and WD are the way to go. I use nothing but SG and WD drives in everything I do.

EDIT: I just worked on a PC for a lady to install a DVD burner. Went smoothly... brought it back to her home, hard drive was dead. It is/was a maxtor and again, it was the controller card on the drive. She said trash the thing and bought a new computer from me. :D

$60 for about a half hours work too...

DJ-CHRIS said:
Maxtor's have had the highest failure rate out of any drive.

Yes, maxtor are a peice of ****.

Do you have proof of this?

I would like to see some data and stastics regarding that.

I have a WD 30GB drive and it just died on me. its abotu 7 or 8 years old though, and its had a very rough life (dropped it alot) and my other 60GB drive is getting there too. I backed up all my stuff on DVD's today and i'm ready to put it all back on my new WD drives tomorrow! I bought an WD 80GB SATA150 drive for $53 and a WD 250GB SATA150 drive with 16MB of cache for $100, both off newegg on sunday. with shipping, the total cam out to be $162 and change.

i've had a few maxtor's in my day. there's nothing wrong with them, i just buy whatever suits my budget at the time. if it so happens to be maxtor, then maxtor it is.

I thought Seagate bought Maxtor?

Correct, as Vybuni said.

Personally, I hope Seagate is able to address the reliability issues that have shadowed Maxtor. Most of what people think of them comes from their older drives, which were really bad. The more recent stuff has been better, but they still haven't acheived the level of reliability as WD or Seagate drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom