A+ Certs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, thats not what Im saying. MCSE is too broad, takes awhile to get, and doesnt cover 1 specific thing. Im saying get only certs that apply to the field of work you want to get into. Be it networking, security, hardware, etc.

I checked with Monster.com and company Web site. They want a degree in computers more than certifications. If you have certifications only, there is no way to get a job now. IMO all certifications are overrated. And I spend money on this stuff too.

They look nice on the resume. I wouldnt say you cant get a job without a degree, it just makes it easier. Certs are just a good way to buff up your resume.

As for cisco, the certs are worth it, but only if your planning on going all the way to CCIE.

Jeeper said:
CompTIA stuff is not worth the paper it is printed on anymore. Save yourself some time/money and get your CCNA, with a MCP.. http://www.certify.com/ check out for all certs...

MCP (or MS anything for that matter) is not worth the paper it's printed on. I should know... I am an MCSE and because there are MS guys that don't know jack out there pretending to be administrators, and because the rest of the server world uses *NIX because it actually never crashes, people do not take the MCSE seriously anymore. I spent $5000+ getting my MCSE and $400 getting my A+. The A+ has proven far more valuable. It has already saved me $ in that I can now build twice the computer with parts cheaper than I can buy a crappy new one.

That alone makes it worth it.

The IT stuff that's actually gotten me anything close to good-paying jobs is the UNIX and Perl that I taught myself from reading books and hosing a practice machine several times.

Certs are going to die out because the market is saturated with them now. Everyone can be certified by going to some boot-camp and shelling out testing fees. Experience with people that have interviewed me is far more valuable. I used to say "I'm an MC__." and the interviewer would say "Great. Now how do you do insert barrage of technical questions here." They want to know what you know. All certs prove is that you can pass a test. The exception is CIsco. You actually have to know something well to get Cisco certified. They're pretty rigorous. My view on them is that they don't really hurt you, but they rarely really help you anymore.

I think he has a fair point, certs are a contradicting concept, almost like trophies to display in a cabinet, I have a friend thatÂ’s doing his MCSE's...heÂ’s been plugging through it, and here he is working in technical support. HE DOES NOT KNOW JACK #$%@. He got fired because he digested what Microsoft dictated to him and when putting it into practice, he flunked. then thereÂ’s me...i'm just out of high school, damn I donÂ’t even have my A+ yet...I was partway through my CCNA but couldnÂ’t afford to keep it up. And whoÂ’s in the manager position? I am. I have people double my age working under me...

So ask yourself what certs really do for you?

I'm working for my MCSE and it's a joke. Our "intructor" uses the MOCs which are nothing but ads from Micro$oft. Some guy cheated on the test and passed without knowing what he is doing. Certs are good if they are general. COMPtia has some of the best IMO. I no longer care for MCSE anymore. Heck, after the people I met in my major and at TechNets, I don't want to do I.T. now. Seems to attract childish idiots from the people in the field I met.

I wouldn't give up on it. Just start where real IT people start: either operations or HelpDesk, and work your way up. That's where anyone who knows anything started. And read. Do lots of reading. And set up a home network and screw it up several times to the point where you have to start over. That's how you learn and become an I.T. guy. There are some brilliant people in this field. You just met the 13th graders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom