Cell phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbcohen

Banned
Can someone explain a bit about cell phones:

Some time ago I had a UT Startcom model UMUT1 also known as an Arc, which was doing great except it fell off my belt en route to my destination. I replaced the cell phone with a new UMUT1. My older phone got 0% reception in the office building where I work, where as the new one gets 75% reception in the building. I thought that in order to get better reception I would have to wait until my carrier introduced a new model of cell phone before I was able to get better reception. How come the model of UT Starcom UMUT1 did not change but with the new one I get much better reception?

Depends on the kind of antenna the manufacturer puts in the phone is all I can say. Around here, LG's will get reception and Motorola's will get crappy reception, and in other parts, vice versa.

Depends on the kind of antenna the manufacturer puts in the phone is all I can say. Around here, LG's will get reception and Motorola's will get crappy reception, and in other parts, vice versa.

yea but he is using the same phone. my guesse is the older phone had a faulty antena or they changedt he antena specs.

Since it is the same model, odds are the software in the newer phone was more recently updated. All phones need to be updated on occasion so as to keep them better connected with the network they are on. I am with Verizon and try to update mine at least once a month (*228).

Oh didn't notice they were the same model; thought he named 2 models (UMT1 and 'Arc'); my bad lol.

Since it is the same model, odds are the software in the newer phone was more recently updated. All phones need to be updated on occasion so as to keep them better connected with the network they are on. I am with Verizon and try to update mine at least once a month (*228).

Probably this. Might've had a firmware update or something in there, I don't pretend to know much about cell phone software updating. My reception is real good and I'[m with Verizon so I haven't felt the need to update since I got my phone.

I suppose it's possible that the manufacturer put a different antennae into the new phone, it's not unheard of to have slightly different parts in the same model.

This is exactly right. FYI newer Verizon phones update automaticaly while on idle. At least i know my Blackberry does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom