car stereo system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Norcent

Banned
I got a stereo system for my car and the power cord is about 1-2 feet shorter then I need it to be. I have it as tight as it will get going from the trunk of my car to the cars battery. I was just wondering if I could splice 2 power cords together? I have 2 and I would just cut off about 1-2 feet off the other cord I have lying around. I just didn't know if that would be more of a fire hazard or if the sound quality would be a little worse or not. I am open for suggestions.

Also How do you hook up a stereo system to an amp? My amp is all hooked up, power, av cables, ground, remote wire. I don't know which speaker wires go were. I have 2 positive and negative speaker wire slots on the sub, but I only have 1 positive and 1 negative on the amp. I am very confused.

I know that the amp and speakers work cause I bought them off of a friend. I know that the amp is hooked up right so far, but I don't know how to hook up the sub. I think I could figure out the problem if my power cord was a little longer. everytime I move my amp or sub the power wire gets pulled out.

Yes you can splice the wire - use the same size at least a 12, larger depending on your application. I wouldn't use a butt splice or any sort of crimped/mechanical splice. Solder the wires together and shrink tube or tape well. Be sure to place your fuse as close to the battery as possible, 12" is okay, 6" is better, 3" is best. Also be sure to ground well to a metal surface that has been sanded to bare metal no more than 12" from the amp.

Thank you so much for your reply. I was going to splice it together near the back of my car not near the front. The fuse box is about 3-5" from the battery.

I hope I can get my stereo system working soon. I just can't wait. I am hopefully getting my license tomorrow and then sometime next week hopefully taking my car to the garage to get inspected. What stinks is I am 18 and failed my license test cause of not stopping completely. I stopped the car at a stop sign, turned the turn signal on, looked both ways and I guess I have to wait even longer next time.

I know I can splice them cause they are the exact same power cables. Same color, same length, same everything. My friend gave me his cable, but it wasn't long enough so I got an amp, stereo kit and I thought that the power cable would be longer then the one my friend gave me, but it wasn't.

Thank you so much for your reply. I was going to splice it together near the back of my car not near the front. The fuse box is about 3-5" from the battery.

I hope I can get my stereo system working soon. I just can't wait. I am hopefully getting my license tomorrow and then sometime next week hopefully taking my car to the garage to get inspected. What stinks is I am 18 and failed my license test cause of not stopping completely. I stopped the car at a stop sign, turned the turn signal on, looked both ways and I guess I have to wait even longer next time.

I know I can splice them cause they are the exact same power cables. Same color, same length, same everything. My friend gave me his cable, but it wasn't long enough so I got an amp, stereo kit and I thought that the power cable would be longer then the one my friend gave me, but it wasn't.

You're welcome. Sorry about the license thing. The placement of the splice is irrelevant, put it wherever is convenient. By size I meant the same diameter. If it came in an amp kit, it's probably sufficient.

Just a note, you probably don't want to go directly to the battery. GO to the fuse box instead. Most units require a continual hot wire and the rest are key-on hot. The fuse box is the place to go. Also be sure you have inline fuses on ALL power wires.

For the amp... no no no. The Amps power MUST come directly from the battery. It draws way too much power to even consider wiring to a fuse box.

you can go to the fuse box? also where do I plug the power for the stereo in there? I don't have a clue where that wire would plug in.

Also, my uncle used to do car stereos and he would have suggested that instead of running the wire through the firewall and drilling through my break line.

you can go to the fuse box? also where do I plug the power for the stereo in there? I don't have a clue where that wire would plug in.

Also, my uncle used to do car stereos and he would have suggested that instead of running the wire through the firewall and drilling through my break line.

YOU CAN NOT GO TO THE FUSE BOX. NOT IN THIS LIFETIME OR THE NEXT!!!!!!!! I CAN NOT STRESS THAT ENOUGH!!!!

The fuse box does not provide the amperage needed for an amp of minimal size. As an ex-Navy Electronics Tech (and Specops but that's another story no one will ever hear) I know full well what you can and can't do with these types of applications.

The power supply for an amp has to go to the battery, it has to have it's own fuse (sized by app), it has to be quite large (in diameter - the diameter of the wire gets larger as the gauge number gets smaller - just like shotguns), and the grounding needs to be as close to amp unit as possible(no more than 12").

If you have any questions please let me know. There are far too many people with less than stellar knowledge who will talk about these things. PLEASE listen to a voice that knows what they are talking about. Many amps are run from the fusebox and are not only constantly starved for amperage (thus lowering total output), they also cause undo heat in the box itself which may affect many of your car's other systems in an adverse manner.

Drill a hole through the firewall if you can't find a suitable hole, protect the power wire at this passage with shrink tubing, a decent grommet or copious amounts of tape, connect it straight to the battery and provide a fuse of suitable size to match your unit no more than 12" from the battery. The closer to the battery you can get, the better - 12" is okay, 6" is better and 3" is optimal.

Just a note, you probably don't want to go directly to the battery. GO to the fuse box instead. Most units require a continual hot wire and the rest are key-on hot. The fuse box is the place to go. Also be sure you have inline fuses on ALL power wires.

Please collect some knowledge of what you speak upon before you speak.

How To Install a Car Amp | How To Do Things.com

How to Install a Car Amplifier | eHow.com
(this one is correct in every aspect EXCEPT the length of the ground wire - remember, no more than 12").

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom