Car Audio question

Status
Not open for further replies.

NightSurge

Fully Optimized
Ok, so I just got my system installed today. Here are the details:

2x Kicker 10" L5's (450RMS 900Max per sub)
980W Amp (can't remember the name right now for some reason, but it started with a K, I'll edit later)
Kenwood MP3/CD dash deck w/ 4x50W

Now, my friend installed everything, and while it is a step above my original bass, it definitely isn't outputting enough bass for these subs. My original stock subs are still going as well, so I'm guessing my new Amp is trying to run 6 subs and that could be why it isn't getting as many watts to the new subs.

I have no clue how to determine anything dealing with audio. My friend simply thinks it is my CD player which only has bass options from 0 +/- 8. He thinks maybe if I had a better CD player that could handle the stock subs and the new ones on different channels or something so that the new amp all goes to the new subs??? That or just the ability to adjust the bass higher than 8 without increasing volume??

The only other thing he suggested was to get a new amp. I can almost guarantee his amp is not outputting 900W RMS, which would be the combined subs. I got everything for $360. Do you think it would be best to just upgrade my amp to a good one with more RMS wattage and peak wattage?

EDIT: Keep in mind, I am running this in a 2000 Ford Mustang V6. I don't want to get an AMP that would run down my battery or require a capacitor or something.

Why do you have the stock subs still in this system at all? Get rid of 'em.

Why do you have the stock subs still in this system at all? Get rid of 'em.

Would that be a lot of trouble? I'm not exactly an audio Guru. I woulda gone to a local shop, but my friend offered me all this for a lot cheaper so I went with that. I'm hoping it is just underpowered since the Amp is a Kole Audio 980W peak. I may get a Hifonics 1500W 900W RMS off of eBay for $175.

980W peak, how much RMS and at what ohms? What ohms are the new subs wired at?

When you say stock subs, what are you talking about? Does it have a factory subwoofer and amp?

Ohhh, he edited in the mustang part.

The V6 mustangs only come with the base mach system I believe. Which doesn't include the mach amps, but it may have been offered as an option that his car has. I dunno.

If you have the mach 460 system then the factory subwoofers would not be functioning, nor the factory amps if your friend didn't order the mach 460 amp integration wiring harness.

When I put the aftermarket head unit in my cobra, I had to solder the stander harness to the amp harness then plug those both into the wiring system in the car.

Enough of that though, Your factory stereo should have NOTHING to do with the subwoofer system besides the head unit. The amp is wired to your batter, your head unit, and the subs.

To answer some questions, the 2 Kicker 10" L5's are dual 2 ohm voice coil. The amp is 980W peak at 4 ohms. Not sure the RMS on the amp, but it is probably only about 450W, which is only enough to power one of the 2 subs full RMS rating. The amp is a Kole Audio 980. I'm gonna get a Hifonics 1500W with 900W RMS at 2 ohm. That should power my subs perfectly, right?

i have a hifonics amp, its the best one ive had yet. if you can get it, i say go for it.

mine is smaller than what your looking at

with 300w x2 channels RMS isnt bad @ all.
this is the only amp that has not overheated on me.
powering rather cheap speakers tho, 12" sony xplod's (380w RMS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom