Car Audio - Head Unit Question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
I'm jealous, and poor. I'd like a head unit with USB connectivity. The problem? I don't have a head unit with USB connectivity... yet it's a very nice deck and to part with it JUST to get a USB port doesn't make too much logical sense to me...

Is there any way to hook up a USB port through auxillary or something? Or... wait... is there a way to hook up to an MP3 player with AUX? Maybe I don't need USB... gahh

If you have an AUX in like this..

1226731741_3d63797a09.jpg

Then all you need is a cable like this

AuxCable_HiRes_preview.jpg

If it is in the back then have fun, a lot of older sony head units had them in the back, the newer ones however have them in the front. They do make a device that lets you plug a flash drive in, with music on it, then you press the buttons on it to navigate through the music, plugs into the cig lighter, and transmits at like 88.9 or something like that so you can pick it up on the radio. Walmart used to have them, not sure if they do anymore or not.

If it is in the back then have fun, a lot of older sony head units had them in the back, the newer ones however have them in the front. They do make a device that lets you plug a flash drive in, with music on it, then you press the buttons on it to navigate through the music, plugs into the cig lighter, and transmits at like 88.9 or something like that so you can pick it up on the radio. Walmart used to have them, not sure if they do anymore or not.

I got one of them which leads to a male plug. I have a genderbender leading to an extension cable as I do occassionally treat my Netbook as juke box.

lol

some head units have aux-in on the back, but it's a weird DIN plug, which requires an adapter to accept input from devices. My Kenwood unit was like that. either way, it's not a big deal.

if you don't have any sort of input jack, though, you can go the FM transmitter route, but you're going to killer your sound quality with it. plus on long trips, you'll have to change the station several times

lol, you're talking about car audio right?

Yes.
I was using my Aspire netbook to listen to my entire MP3 collection while I travelling out west over christmas. It beats me from having to burn all my MP3 on to CD. And an Netbook has much more functionality than a iPod.

if you don't have any sort of input jack, though, you can go the FM transmitter route, but you're going to killer your sound quality with it. plus on long trips, you'll have to change the station several times
I have used them a few times, and i can not say I am 100% happy with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom