Canceling phone contract ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
this is to hard.

Maybe i can convince them due to the recession i am suffering severe financial difficulty...

LOL..... No.

Seriously, the best thing to do is just the following :-
1. Live out the rest of your contract. You might look at seeing if another carrier will pay out the final month or so of your contract.
2. Proceed with the lemon policy

You're completely misreading the contract. If you report your phone stolen, the service on that phone will be canceled, and you won't be held responsible for charges on that phone. The part that says You must fulfill the remainder of your Term or the Early Termination Fee will apply. clearly means you are still fully responsible for the contract you signed.

I assume you're over 18. Time to man up. You're not going to find some slick loophole to get out without paying. It doesn't matter whether or not you think it's fair, hard, miserable, or whatever. A contract is a legal document. If you don't pay what you owe, they'll just send it to collections and your credit will be trashed.

QFT....

I had to find this out the way...luckily i was able to build it back up.

Or you can try to do what i did. However this was a screw up on my last mobile phone provider and currently I am not so sure if I have been blacklisted or not (I hope not)
For about 3 months, I did not pay my bill. At 2 months, they put call restrictions on my phone. At 3 months, I can not longer get incoming calls. A 1 month later, they handed it over to debt collection agancy. About 3 weeks later, I call up the mobile phone conpany (not the debt collecton agency) with the sob story saying that I was house sitting and I only got back to my place too day. At this stage, it was 2 days after they canceled the phone contract. You pay the phone company what you owe them. You do this one a week end where they can not reactivate your phone.
Wait about 2 weeks, you will get a huge bill in the post saying that you have cancelled your phone contact. Call up the phone company and tell them that you did not authorised your phone to be cancelled. Again do this one a week end.
Wait about another 2 week later, you will get a credit note cancelling the huge bill that you recieved 2 weeks before hand.
I assume you're over 18. Time to man up. You're not going to find some slick loophole to get out without paying. It doesn't matter whether or not you think it's fair, hard, miserable, or whatever. A contract is a legal document. If you don't pay what you owe, they'll just send it to collections and your credit will be trashed.
I just happen to luck out due to a failure to communicate between departments at my provider's end.

You're completely misreading the contract. If you report your phone stolen, the service on that phone will be canceled, and you won't be held responsible for charges on that phone. The part that says You must fulfill the remainder of your Term or the Early Termination Fee will apply. clearly means you are still fully responsible for the contract you signed.

Hehe, you assumed wrong :p

But yeh - i've accepted there will be a termination fee.

I just can't find out how much it is :mad:

If only it were so simple.

Asking them any question about cancellation results in a 100 hour argument about how they know i don't want to cancel, when i do :mad:

Hehe, you assumed wrong :p

But yeh - i've accepted there will be a termination fee.

I just can't find out how much it is :mad:

Call them up and find out. Normally termination fee is more expensive because
1. Not only do you have to pay out the rest of your contract (or at least a part of it)
2. You need to pay out the mobile phone in if you purchased in $0 up front. Free mobile phones are not free.
3. They just want to screw you over just a little more.

Most of the time, I have found that paying out the rest of your contract has been cheaper.

If only it were so simple.

Asking them any question about cancellation results in a 100 hour argument about how they know i don't want to cancel, when i do :mad:
Simple. Just ask them.
BS to them saying that you might be moving to Australia (or some other country that they don't cover) and that you would like to see what your options are for cancelling. And if they hit you with global roaming, tell them that you can justify the expense for what you use for phone for (not far from the truth either)

Sheez..... it not that hard. However creating all this drama on about cancelling a mobile phone contract is much more fun.

Call them up and find out. Normally termination fee is more expensive because
1. Not only do you have to pay out the rest of your contract (or at least a part of it)
2. You need to pay out the mobile phone in if you purchased in $0 up front. Free mobile phones are not free.
3. They just want to screw you over just a little more.

Most of the time, I have found that paying out the rest of your contract has been cheaper.

Simple. Just ask them.
BS to them saying that you might be moving to Australia (or some other country that they don't cover) and that you would like to see what your options are for cancelling. And if they hit you with global roaming, tell them that you can justify the expense for what you use for phone for (not far from the truth either)

Sheez..... it not that hard. However creating all this drama on about cancelling a mobile phone contract is much more fun.

It doesnt seem to be that expensive, if its anything liek T-Mobile USA. If u have 6months or less on your T Mobile USA contract, they charge you $100 termination fee, and i'm paying $60 a month anyway. Heres to hoping the UK policy is similar.

And i would try, but it's bankholiday and they wont pick up the phone.

Drama ? What drama, i asked a question.. and ya'll are answering me. What'd you expect :freak: :p

Besides, this is an Oreo post. Expect none other than draggedout-dramatic-unrealisitic-and-yet-so-stupid threads. I do try. If you wan't to read a normal post of mine.. look outside the OT section.

Anyhow, back on topic. Excel tells me i have enough money to pay both contract anyway, and still have enough money to buy InFamous for PS3 in a few months (that was my main concern xD). Still, it would be nice to find this termination fee out without having to wait till tuesday to ring them up on an everlasting phonecall.

The termination fee would be clearly spelled out in your contract. However, I'm guessing you didn't bother to keep a copy.

It doesnt seem to be that expensive, if its anything liek T-Mobile USA. If u have 6months or less on your T Mobile USA contract, they charge you $100 termination fee, and i'm paying $60 a month anyway. Heres to hoping the UK policy is similar.

Double check on that. And it will come down to what phone you are currently on.
Otherwise, one could just purchase an iMate Ulimate one month, and then cancel the next.

Oh look at me, I got myself a $1000 hand set for $160 (first month + termination fee)

However at this stage, if you don't have your contact handy then I suggest you call them up, because so far the last 3 pages has been nothing more thatn speculation and ******** for your situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom