Can I clean off the thermal paste from an AMD stock hestsink? - Page 3 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Member's Area > Off Topic Discussion
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2012, 05:55 PM   #21 (permalink)
Banned

Default Re: Can I clean off the thermal paste from an AMD stock hestsink?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceyc0ld View Post
Why do you even bother with the stuff ?
Sure its fine and all but your own cleaning method should work well if not better, saving you 8.00 total for the thing.
I'm getting ready to clean up my FM1 heatsink and cpu late tonight.

Just a good soft wash cloth mainly dry, a little bit of green alcohol, little firm scrubbing for about 60 seconds, good as gold...
Also I let the thing dry for about 10 minutes near my window unit, been doing this since I started with my amd Phenom I.
Always works, except for last year when it ****ed up my Phenom II hexacore still can't figure it artic heatsink fan 6 was the main problem.... #_#

What kind of amd cpu you plan on rocking, if you put tuniq x2 on it or something similiar, makes things much more cooler.
Kept my PII 965 at a steady oc at 3.8hgz 4.2ghz for about 6 months in the spring/summer time heat.

Old 06-27-2012, 06:44 PM   #22 (permalink)
Private Joker

Default Re: Can I clean off the thermal paste from an AMD stock hestsink?

Alcohol evaporates almost immediately, so you don't need to let it dry for that amount of time. This is why you use a high-percentage alcohol, because it evaporates so quickly and isn't damaging on electronics when in contact. Wet the cloth or coffee filter or w/e you're using with the alcohol, and wipe it down. If you watch it, you can see that it dries almost immediately. By the time you've got everything cleaned up, it's perfectly dry usually.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote