calculating speed/velocity using GPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

nOcLuE98

Biohazardous
Lets just say I need to measure the speed of an aircraft, a homemade one. I am thinking about using a cell phone, and somehow getting the GPS info to a computer, that will graph the data, and use that to determine the speed of the aircraft. What are your thoughts? How else could I measure air speed? (needs to be very inexpensive) What program could I use to receive the data? help?

i would suggest a radio transmitter, say a cheap remote control @ some different transmitting frequency than your plane.

You would need a receiver for the same remote control device. ( you could buy a cheap remote control vehicle with both devices.)

The trick would be how to collect the data. far more difficult than my first idea.....

Or, for $60 you could buy a kit @

Ramsey Electronics

I am not sure that will work. I might not be able to see it. so, I need something onboard that will measure and either collect data, or transmit it back to a computer.

thank you for replying though. I need as many ideas as I can get.

It will do up to 2 million data points that you can download after the fact.

It won't actuall give you real-time...

yeah, i dont need real time. I would like it, but dont need it. and i dotn have a budget. But, even modding is ok. I have a friend who can mod this all. so any ideas ?

avgV = x/t
You just need to measure the time and the distance, which apparently you can do without a gps.

I want up to second speed. It should be going about 600mph or faster. but once the fuel is up, it will be gliding. So I want to know its peak speed. That calculation would only do average speed.

oh and that speed is ballpark, I am not sure how much fuel we will be using.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom