Cable vs. DSL

Status
Not open for further replies.
my cable company has a great reputation, take a look here, also, they disabled NetBIOS ports in order to protect customers.

I know this is an old thread, but DSL just became availible in my area and since it's not only cheaper, but faster than what I have now, I signed up and hope to be connected in a couple days.

What are the pros and cons?

Thanks.

OC3 lines, which carry information along the Internet "backbone," transfer data at 155 Mbps. This is more than three times as fast as a T3 line, which transfers data at 43 Mbps. In comparison, A T3 line can handle as much data per second as 30 T1 lines; a T1 line, at a rate of 1.544 Mbps, transfers data 54 times faster than a 28.8 modem operating at 28,800 bits per second.

OC3 is usaully only for large businesses and can cost upwards of $10,000 per month.

qiranworms said:
I use a cable modem. While the providor (private) I use is fairly unreliable, the DSL service in my area is unbelievably terrible. Not only is it a terrible company, but the DSL system is incredibly stupidly designed, making it as insecure, or even more so then cable. People with phone cabling connected in any way (such as the same appartment building...or neighbouring houses connected to the same telephone posts...most houses in a neighbourhood are somehow connected before reaching the phone station) to yours can actually use the DSL connection to listen in to your phone calls (don't ask for details...there have been very messed up situations though).

Aside from that all, the cable ranges from 800kbps to 1.2 mbps. The DSL here is usually 400-600. (You can pay for T1 speeds, but costs are irrationally high).

Also, we have to add in satelite to the list of broadband comparisons in this thread. :)
It must be Rogers then:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom