A bunch of random questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yami

Lady Techie
Hey all, just some questions here I'm wondering the answer to, please reply if you have time :)

1) Why were the Phemon X3 processors so bad? My friend got one and it runs really well.

2) I've noticed when you use IMG tags for images hosted elsewhere, they give a different image, usually along the lines of 'don't nick our images' - how do they do that?

3) Can you get into the BIOS without having any RAM installed?

4) What exactly are rebates, how do they work and why are they used? I know of no similar thing in the UK.

5) How soon can we expect a single stick of 4GB RAM?

6) Can you use an 8-pin CPU connector in a 4-pin slot with no repercussions?

- Yami

Hey all, just some questions here I'm wondering the answer to, please reply if you have time :)

1) Why were the Phemon X3 processors so bad? My friend got one and it runs really well.

2) I've noticed when you use IMG tags for images hosted elsewhere, they give a different image, usually along the lines of 'don't nick our images' - how do they do that?

4) What exactly are rebates, how do they work and why are they used? I know of no similar thing in the UK.

- Yami

1) they weren't bad per se, they just didn't perform as well as their competition

3) I don't think so, but interesting thought :p

4) you mail in the UPC (bar code) and they send you a check later. (much later, sometimes longer than 2 months) companies use them because a lot of people are lazy and don't actually send them in, or they forget to send it.

5) they already exist

- Yami

1) They didn't perform as well as there competition sadly it was a interesting idea non the less.
2) It's down to disabling hot links to save on there bandwidth you can do somthing with Apache's mod rewrite to do this I believe I haven't had to do it.
3) No you need the RAM to complete the power cerket.
4) We don't have them in the UK so it's not wirth knowing about to be honnest.
5) Aleady exist they are just uncommon and expensive.

4. Rebates are something that you get a discount for. Be it a instant rebate where a certain amount of money is taken off the price right away or a mail in rebate where you fill out a form, send in proof of purchase (Usually a copy fo the reciept and the UPC code) and get a check in the mail for a specified amount later.

Instant Rebate are fine. Mail in Rebates are a pain in the rear.

I got a random question

why does money, bills specifically, smell the way they do?

the ink?

and even old ones retain that smell, I thought it'd fade over time

Oh, and another random question - what's a good way to clean CRT screens? I had some screen cleaner but I lost it. It's so dirty I actually need to move windows sometimes to read their contents properly.

Oh, and another random question - what's a good way to clean CRT screens? I had some screen cleaner but I lost it. It's so dirty I actually need to move windows sometimes to read their contents properly.

use rainx on it, i used it on my old 17" CRT and it works wonders, DO NOT use it on lcd's or plasmas, ect. only use it on glass.

I got a random question

why does money, bills specifically, smell the way they do?

the ink?

and even old ones retain that smell, I thought it'd fade over time
It smells that way cause over 90% of the US Currency has enough drugs on it for a Drug Sniffing dog to smell on it. ;)

But honestly i would say a mix of the paper used and the ink. Think about it the paper has to be tough to go thru the wear and tear it does and last for years.

Spray some Windex or something on to a lint free cloth and then wipe the CRT. Or use some of the other suggestions. You never want to spray a monitor directly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom