Budget Battle: Local Schools Close, Teachers Calling Out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are private schools any different, other than the parents pays a lot for their children to be there? Not saying they're ******, but are their teachers doing any better??

yeah because they don't rely on tax payer money to fund their schools and pay their teachers. it's like a private vs public university.

Unions ARE needed, but have been pushed out by CORPORATIONS, believe it or not, there IS a "blacklist" I worked in a union once, and this is half the reason I can not get a job. Corporations have killed unions.

Teachers arn't amazingly paid over here but i think after a few years of being a teacher as you gain more responsibilites (head of department) and stuff you can earn upwards of $50,000 or £30,000. Head teachers of bigger schools can earn well over the $150,000 mark here at state schools, even more for public schools. I know because my head teacher either turns up in a Range Rover or a BMW X5 depending on how he's feeling.

Unions as they are today are horrible. They once served a great purpose to protect workers, but they haven't changed to suit todays world.

Go to any unionized factory/industrial plant, and you'll see how destructive a union can be. Lazy *** people who just care about getting their hours in so they can get the overtime, not really caring about the actual work. Knowing they really can't be fired because it'll take 2yrs to do it if its tried.

People seen the costs of the unions when the auto industry went bunk. Seriously $40/hr to push a button and screw a screw in.... Then toss in overtime everyweek....

All that said, I believe the unions need to be modernized, and stop protecting non deserving workers. Saddly buisness obviously want to make more money, and shafting people to do it usually is how its done. This needs protecting.

I'm glad I'm Canadian, where though our taxes are higher, these services are decently funded, and our public schools are good.

I think teachers and nurses should be paid decently... Cause you don't need a car, but you do need nurses and teachers.

over here in ottawa its preaty decent. like patonb says we are taxed alot sometimes up to 30% of our paychecks are taxed. our services are very well funded especially in ottawa, an nobody really complains that we are taxed to much because it goes to a good cause. also teachers here are well payed. They earn raises by furthering there educations. getting a better or more degrees in variosu subjects will actually warrant you getting a raise. 75% of the teachers at my highschool where in university studying even more. There is a limit you can be payed based on your time youve been a teacher and based on the ammount of degrees you have. but as years go by you can once agai ngo and earn another degree to ocne more get payed more. the most a teacher can earn tho is something like 75k a year in the catholic school board here. wich is considerably alot of money to live comfortably. my mother earns less then 30 thousand a year and has 5 children we live very well. you just need to budget well. If i where to show you the inside of the home i live in and how we are always well fed most peopel wouldnt beleive my mother earns less then 30 grand but it all comes down to how much you budget. Like it has been mentioned its the litle things that count. teachers could earn less money and still be ok. At the same time your country as a whole should tax more.

i'm certainly no expert on school financing, but there are a lot of people to pay, and more than just salaries, benifits too. remember since it's a state funded institution they have to offer medical and other things. it's liek any business where the little things add up fast. especially when you're running an institution with enough employees to support, in my case, 1200 students.

Benefits are a component of their employee's compensation just like in the private sector. I haven't looked closely but I'd be willing to but there is a ton of administrative overhead that can be cut at any district, iirc some districts even have as many administrators as teachers. You have numerous principals and other administrators at each school, then you have a bunch of bureaucrats at the district level, then another level of bureaucracy at the state level. IMO in that case you should be able to cut the state or district level out entirely, that many levels of bureaucracy all but ensures inefficiency and waste.

Also most private schools have less funding per student than their public counterparts yet they tend to outscore them which says a lot about how efficient the system is.

Unions ARE needed, but have been pushed out by CORPORATIONS, believe it or not, there IS a "blacklist" I worked in a union once, and this is half the reason I can not get a job. Corporations have killed unions.

Unions worked great for the U.S. car industry, oh wait we had to spend tens of billions bailing them out. Heck in teaching specifically there are examples of teachers that are to dangerous to allow near students but the Union won't let them get fired so they are payed to do nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom