books

Status
Not open for further replies.

talldude123

Banned
can anybody recommend any good computer books? My parents are buying me 2 books, related to computers, at any price.

Can anybody recommend "computer-related" books?

Microsoft books are VERY dry. I books for MCSE (with AD infra and design and network top design) and it was very dull.

It really comes down to this...
- What areas of computers you are after.
- What's your current level of computer knowledge
- What's the level of compter knowledge are you planning to achieve
- How you plan to use the book. Like is it just there for you to study, or it's there for a quick reference on what you need to do next.

... For Dummies and Idiot's Guide To.. series are really good if you really have no idea or you want some thing plain english. However do not exspect titles like M.C.S.A For Dummies

... In A NutShell Series are really good for quick references and for when you want to cram for an exam. However they do require that you have some sourse of knowledge.

Books that are brought out my the software manufactures themselves are the best. However they are extremely expesive, and in some cases they are a complete waste of money if you do not have some other prior knowlegde or experience.
Like I am looking at my boss's copy of Microsoft Networking Essentials 2nd Edition that is gathering dust along with the Microsfot Windows NT Support Guide.
Whether it's MS, Adobe, Macromedia what ever, if you purchase these books, you will want to get a return on your investment.
And if you ever see these books in a bargin bin, it means that there is a new version of the software that is about to be released.
I find it reather foolish when you have parent purchasing the MS Networking Books for their child when they are starting Uni or Collage. They are extremely expensive, and by the time they graduate, MS would of brought out the next server OS.

In my experience I've been just fine buying a Dummies book and using that to get my foot in the door of whatever topic/programming language I want to learn. That book coupled with some more advanced on-line stuff (like the forums here) seem to make really good tools.

jorsoft03 said:
In my experience I've been just fine buying a Dummies book and using that to get my foot in the door of whatever topic/programming language I want to learn. That book coupled with some more advanced on-line stuff (like the forums here) seem to make really good tools.

I can second that. They are good stepping stone for some of the harder references that are out there.

I have a lot of "Pocket Reference" and "Nutshell" books in my mini-library. I can't be bothered to read books that are like 900+ pages long. So I read books that are compressed significantly. The "Pocket" books are like 100-150 pages. Of course, you better understand every single word of it, b/c they don't really hold your hand when they tell you stuff.

Anyways, since you "are" on TF, I am presuming you have some interest in computer hardware. So get a book on Computer Architecture from amazon. Sort by popularity. None of this A+ or troubleshooting stuff. Get something that actually describes how "things work" like from a design viewpoint.

Don't bother with this Cisco/Microsoft certified stuff either.

you should get the "how AMD pwns intel" book.. here's a a spoiler for you..there's no twists/surprise endings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom