Bob Barker to Retire

Status
Not open for further replies.

macdude425

Member (again)
Bob Barker announced prior to Tuesday's tapings that he will step down as host of The Price is Right at the end of the current season, ending a TV career that spans back to the end of 1956 when he succeeded Ralph Edwards as host of Truth or Consequences. His last show as host is set to tape Thursday, June 7 for a mid-June airing.

Barker had been contemplating retirement for nearly a decade, but decided to continue hosting the show as he enjoyed it immensely. However, he told the Associated Press he's just reaching the age where the show has become more physically and mentally demanding, and that while he might be able to do a 36th Season, it's "better (to leave) a year too soon than a year too late."

After taking a couple of weeks off to just relax, Barker intends to devote his time to his longtime crusade for animal rights, pet adoption, and through the DJ&T Foundation (named for his late wife Dorothy Jo and mother Matilda, aka 'Tillie') public awareness of pet overpopulation and funding of spay/neuter clinics.

Meanwhile, the show will go on. Future plans for the long-running game show, including the installation of a successor to Barker, are being contemplated at this time. Additionally, CBS plans a primetime special honoring Barker - already in development as this news broke - at a date to be determined.

Source: http://golden-road.net

I figure he realizes he's pushing his luck at this point.
Walking around, trailing that microphone wire, he knows that he's BOUND to trip over it and break his neck someday.
He's just being smart and retiring before that can ever happen.

You'd think that they could afford a wireless MIC :p

I love that show. I used to watch it all the time, but since Bob Barker's retiring, it's like Pierce Brosnan retiring as 007, it just won't be the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom