Blu-Ray burner on NewEgg

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah but when cd's came out.. not dvd's... cd's...people said the same exact thing...

"i'm not going to buy those.. i still have 200 floppies to fill"

lol...

jorsoft03 said:
They appear to be sold out....
And honestly it will be 5-10 years before BR does anything, if it kicks off at all (something else may come out). Was this how much dvd players+burners cost when they first came out?
And how long would it take to burn a blue ray disc? Overnight?

5-10 years? Where do you get your information, what a ridiculous thing to say. Do you know what will be out in 5-10 years? By then, blu-ray, will be reffered to as "Legacy hardware". Whether or not Blu-ray takes off, is dependent on whether or not HD-DVD tanks.

Did you see the specs needed to run that?

Requirements Pentium IV 3.0GHz or faster
512MB or more RAM
30GB free HDD space
UXGA (1600 x 1200) display (recommended)
Graphics card capable of 1600 x 1200 resolution display

I'm still running a P4 2.4

It would be nice to get that, not to store stuff on, but to watch Blu-Ray DVD's. But, those arent even that better quality than regular DVD's, according to many articles I've read, anyway. Blu-ray has some serious upping to do in their technology department.

To say that anything computer-related will take 5-10 years to take off is absolutely absurd, unsubstantiated, and just stupid, sorry man.

jorsoft03 said:
They appear to be sold out....
And honestly it will be 5-10 years before BR does anything, if it kicks off at all (something else may come out). Was this how much dvd players+burners cost when they first came out?
And how long would it take to burn a blue ray disc? Overnight?

5-10 years? Where do you get your information, what a ridiculous thing to say. Do you know what will be out in 5-10 years? By then, blu-ray, will be reffered to as "Legacy hardware". Whether or not Blu-ray takes off, is dependent on whether or not HD-DVD tanks.

Did you see the specs needed to run that?

Requirements Pentium IV 3.0GHz or faster
512MB or more RAM
30GB free HDD space
UXGA (1600 x 1200) display (recommended)
Graphics card capable of 1600 x 1200 resolution display

I'm still running a P4 2.4

It would be nice to get that, not to store stuff on, but to watch Blu-Ray DVD's. But, those arent even that better quality than regular DVD's, according to many articles I've read, anyway. Blu-ray has some serious upping to do in their technology department. But, if you are just looking to play Blu-ray disc's, than I would rather wait for PS3. It may be $600, but it's $400 cheaper than the current stand-alone players you can get, and $100 cheaper than that burner... And you get a PS3 to boot.

To say that anything computer-related will take 5-10 years to take off is absolutely absurd, unsubstantiated, and just stupid, sorry man.

^^ doesn't look any better than DVDs?

you obviously don't have a high def TV... cuz regular DVDs on my high def TV look pretty bad.. and high def stuff (like blu-ray and hd-dvd) looks absolutely awesome. so for regular tvs they'll probably look the same.. but not for high def stuff...

Yeah, they most definitely don't look any better on regular TV's, but high resolution TVs the difference is astounding.

It's still to expensive.

aliasaid said:
^^ doesn't look any better than DVDs?

you obviously don't have a high def TV... cuz regular DVDs on my high def TV look pretty bad.. and high def stuff (like blu-ray and hd-dvd) looks absolutely awesome. so for regular tvs they'll probably look the same.. but not for high def stuff...

You've tried both Blu-ray DVD's on your TV as well as HD-DVD's? I find that hard to belivee. How did you get your hands on the players? Right now a standard Blu-Ray player is $1000, and an HD player is $500, and I really dont think you dropped $1500 on both players.

Like I said, this was according to a review I read on HD and Blu-Ray players. I do have an HDTV, but no HD players. For regular TV's, the quality would stil be better, though not anywhere near what they could be, they would still be better. There is also a huge difference in quality when watching regular DVD's on my HDTV. Are you watching coped DVD's? Because, yes, any copied DVD's (That are simply back-ups of my DVD collection that I legally purchased) look rather terrible (almost VHS quality) but standard discs that I purchased look great, and all this on a pretty crappy DVD player, hooked up via s-video. When I hook up my HTPC via Composite, quality is going to go through the roof. I find your knowledge of HD skeptical.

jorsoft03. DVD-Burners were pretty expensive when they first came out, but not that expensive. DVD's had already been out a while, so it was easier and cheaper to release home burning solutions for the end user. Whereas Blu-Ray is extremely new, they kind of jumped the gun in releasing that burner, which would account for it being hugely expensive. I imagine that within 6 months or so there will be a ton of burners just like it, and prices will have at least been cut in half.

For me this technology is just like, "VHS / BetaMax"...

Right now it's too early to tell which one will become the standard and which one will die... I'm not really into the $700 paper weights...

I'll wait..

HAVOC2k5 said:
For me this technology is just like, "VHS / BetaMax"...

Thats what everyone has been reffering to this format war as, the war between VHS and BetaMax. In the end, it will just be whoever puts the most money behind a certain format.

Like Havoc said, I'm not into the $700 paper weights either. I would rather not, but I'm going to wait as well.

CD's and DVD's work perfectly fine for me. Until either become as cheap as a DVD burner (i.e. ~$40), then I'll stick to CD's and DVD's.

There's not much difference between HD-DVD and Blu-Ray, I saw a comparison at BestBuy and I couldn't tell a difference. Just the difference in price tag on the players. :p But if anyone thinks theres no difference between HD-DVD/Blu-Ray and DVD, then they are blind and crazy.

HD/BR > DVD

DVD = 720×480
HD/BR = 1920x1080

untitledoq9.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom