Bike advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
well.....in seattle it primarily rains :p A few days ago I heard reports it had been raining 27 days straight lol.

But when it's nice weather it's gorgeous up there. Some parts of the city are almost like san francisco and have some massive hills......I'd be having to hop off the bike at that point.

I currently have a Cannondale Raven, SRAM 9.0 / X.0 drivetrain, Shimano XT disc brakes, Lefty fork, Continental tires, Fox rear shock (forget model).

I'm actually looking to sell the Raven frame with the Headshock - I'm moving up to the Jeckyl frame, keeping my lefty. Both are wonderful frames.

Try eBay for a good deal on a used bike. Buy some bike magazines, like Mountain Bike Action, Bicycling, Bike, etc. Read the reviews in there for a couple months, and make an educated decision in your pricerange. There are great bikes in almost every price range.

I have a nice Gary Fisher bike. It was brand new when I bought it for $350. The only problem I had with it is that the left crank bolt got loose and rounded out. So since it was still under warranty I brought it back to the shop and got it fixed. I don't have it up at college with me, but I'm going to be bringing it up for spring so I don't use as much gas as I normally do, and so instead of walking I can bike. I would look into some Gary Fisher's, Trek, Specialized, or Schwinn. Schwinn are probably the cheapest of all of these, but aren't as high of quality.

I have a KHS road bike, model "Flite 500" which cost me AU$700
it is not designed for offroad, but it is very fast onroad - on highways, I might reach about 60 - 70 km/h (or about 40 mph)
the only thing I had trouble with is tyres often going flat, even if I have pretty strong tyres (like ones made with Kevlar)
I learned that on a road bike, you need to pump up the tyres with high pressure (about 110 psi)
since I got a good pump for it, I keep my tyres at a high pressure, and I hardly have to change tyres now.

but if you go offroad, then a road bike is not for you. the tyres are pretty thin, and you don't get good traction with them on dirt. it's also harder to turn.

70 kmh is VERY hard to achieve on flat ground, I found it a struggle to achieve 55 on completly flat ground. But you also have a road bike, and I have an offroad bike (And road bikes are easier on the road, most defiantly)

I think you guys are recomending bikes that are very expensive. This is a poor college student wanting a bike to get around. He just needs something safe, and something that won't break.

This is a poor college student wanting a bike to get around. He just needs something safe, and something that won't break.
lol precisely. It reminds me of those 'grandma needs a computer for e-mail' threads where people suggest 6800Ultras and crap.

Well I would recommend a Schwinn if you want something cheap and reliable. They have pretty sturdy bikes around $150-$250.

Nubius said:
lol precisely. It reminds me of those 'grandma needs a computer for e-mail' threads where people suggest 6800Ultras and crap.

People are defiantly bad with that here....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom